Zero downtime upgrade for BMC Helix Platform and applications
The zero downtime (ZDT) upgrade of BMC Helix Platform ensures that while BMC performs an upgrade of your platform and applications, there is no downtime for your production system. However, you might observe some issues intermittently.
Review this topic for operations that you should avoid during the zero downtime upgrade.
Upgrade notification message
During an upgrade, a notification message might appear in the BMC Helix Innovation Studio to inform you that the upgrade is under way. After the upgrade is complete, the message will automatically close.
Limitations and cautions
This section describes issues that you might encounter while an upgrade is in progress. You can perform these tasks after the BMC Helix Platform upgrade is complete.
- When ZDT upgrade is in progress, certain operations such as creating a case or knowledge articles or submitting requests might not work and can generate the following error:
ERROR 589 Operation canceled. System upgrade is in progress. Retry the operation after some time.
- When ZDT upgrade is in progress, you may experience slow performance and the following issues intermittently:
- Session timeouts
- UI errors
- RSSO authentication failed error
- 502 Bad Gateway
- Invalid credentials
Operations to avoid during a zero downtime upgrade
When the ZDT upgrade is in progress, make sure you avoid the following operations:
- Creating and modifying of the following definitions in BMC Helix Innovation Studio:
- Named lists
- Event statistics
- Web APIs
- Administration configurations
- Deploying applications or libraries
- Loading Foundation data
- Configuring the following tasks in BMC Helix Business Workflows:
- Case Template Configuration changes that involves edits to dynamic data and task flow process change (Create, Update)
- Task Template Configuration changes that involves edits to dynamic data and task flow process change (Create, Update)
- Changing the connector settings in BMC Helix Multi-Cloud Service Management (MCSM) configuration