Zero downtime upgrade for BMC Helix Platform and applications
The zero downtime (ZDT) feature of BMC Helix Platform ensures that while BMC performs an upgrade to your platform and applications, there is no downtime for your production system. The production work can continue with no service interruption while the upgrade processes in the background.
Starting with BMC Helix Platform version 19.11, upgrades will be performed using this new zero downtime capability. Review this topic for operations that are not allowed and for troubleshooting any issues during the zero down time upgrade.
Upgrade notification message
During an upgrade, a notification message might appear in the BMC Helix Innovation Studio to inform you that the upgrade is under way. After the upgrade is complete, the message will automatically close.
Operations to be avoided during a zero-downtime upgrade
- Within the BMC Helix Innovation Studio, creation or modifications of the following elements is not allowed:
- Record Definitions
- View Definitions
- Process Definitions
- Rule Definitions
- Association Definitions
- Named List Definitions
- Event Definitions
- Event Statistics Definitions
- Web API Definitions
- Document Definitions
- Administration Configurations
- Deployment of smart applications or libraries are not allowed.
- Foundation data load should not be initiated.
- Following configurations in the BMC Helix Business Workflows are not allowed:
- Case Template Configuration changes that involves edits to dynamic data and task flow process change (Create, Update)
- Task Template Configuration changes that involves edits to dynamic data and task flow process change (Create, Update)
- Changes to the connector settings in BMC Helix Multi-Cloud Service Management (MCSM) configuration is not allowed.
Issues that you might encounter while an upgrade is in progress
This section describes issues that you might encounter while an upgrade is in progress.
Cause: This issue occurs because a critical upgrade phase is in progress due to which the current operation cannot proceed and has been aborted.
Workaround: Retry the tasks after some time or after the BMC Helix Platform upgrade is complete.
Cannot submit service requests by using a chatbot.
Cause: This issue occurs because you were performing either of the operations listed here during system upgrade:
Workaround: Retry the tasks after BMC Helix Platform is upgraded.
During upgrade, BMC Helix Platform may experience the following issues intermittently:
Cause: This issue occurs because a critical upgrade phase is in progress due to which the system might be in an inconsistent state for a brief period of time.
Workaround: Retry the operation after the BMC Helix Platform upgrade is complete.