Installing the BMC Helix Platform sync utility for Remedy ITSM
To load the Foundation data from Remedy IT Service Management (Remedy ITSM) to BMC Helix Platform you must prepare your system for data transfer. You must download the following predefined files in BMC Remedy Deployment Application (D2P package):
- Atrium Integrator jobs and transformations, forms, and filters—Loads and synchronizes Foundation data from Remedy ITSM.
Synchronization plug-in: Automatically synchronizes any changes in Remedy ITSM Foundation data to BMC Helix Platform.
You must perform the tasks in this topic in the following scenarios:
- If the D2P package for Foundation data load is not installed as part of your activation.
- If BMC Remedy Action Request System (Remedy AR System) and Remedy ITSM are deployed in virtual machines.
- You can load Foundation data from Remedy ITSM version 9.1 SP3 or later.
For the complete list of compatible Remedy ITSM versions for loading Foundation data, see Foundation data load compatibility information.
- If you are using Remedy ITSM version 9.1.04, after you import the predefined Pentaho jobs and synchronization plug-in, you must also install the latest JAR file else the Pentaho jobs are not imported.
For information about how to install the latest JAR file, see Install latest JAR file for Remedy ITSM Suite version 9.1 SP4.
Before you begin
Before you prepare your environment for Foundation data load, ensure that you have completed the following tasks:
- Ensure that the BMC Helix Platform version and the Remedy ITSM Foundation to Innovation Suite Sync Utility Deployment Package Version is the same.
- To ensure that the predefined Pentaho jobs and transformations are imported, ensure that you have installed the following patch:
- 9.1.03.001: Patch 1 for version 9.1.03
- 9.1.04.002: Patch 2 for version 9.1.04
- 18.05.01 or later: Service Pack 1 for 18.05 or later
- Verify that the string
/api/rx/application/commandexists in the
excluded-url-patternparameter in the /conf/rsso-agent.properties file, so that Remedy Single Sign-On (RSSO) is configured. For more information about configuring Remedy SSO OAuth 2.0 authentication in your application, see .
Task 1: To download the D2P package
Download the D2P package, so that you can obtain the predefined Pentaho jobs, transformations, and plug-in file.
- From the BMC Remedy AR System server, with your support ID, log in to the page.
- Select Product Downloads > Licensed Products.
- In the Licensed Products View page, select the following options:
- View: Licensed Product
- Profile: Master
- In the Find field, enter BMC Helix Custom Applications and click Go.
- From the search results, select BMC Helix Custom Applications > BMC Helix Custom Applications version number.
- Select the check box corresponding to Remedy ITSM Foundation to Innovation Suite Sync Utility Deployment Package Version version number.
Ensure that the BMC Helix Platform version and the Remedy ITSM Foundation to Innovation Suite Sync Utility Deployment Package Version is the same.
- Click Download.
The single download button replaces both Download via FTP and Download Manager buttons in the interface.
The file ITSM_Innovation_Suite_Foundation_SYNC_Utility is downloaded in .zip format. The extracted folder includes the following files:
Task 2: To deploy the BMC Helix Platform Sync Utility
Import and deploy the InnovationSuiteFoundationSyncfor<versionnumber>andIS<versionnumber>_81.zip. This .zip file includes the predefined Pentaho transformations and jobs that help you load the existing Foundation data from Remedy ITSM.
From the Mid Tier, to open the AR System Deployment Management Console, access the following URL:
For more information about how to access the Deployment Management Console, see .
- From the left navigation pane, select Transfer Package > Import and then select the package InnovationSuiteFoundationSyncfor<versionnumber>andIS<versionnumber>_81.zip.
- Click OK.
- After the package is imported, select the package InnovationSuiteFoundationSyncfor<versionnumber>andIS<versionnumber_81>.zip.
- From the left navigation pane, select Operations and click Deploy.
(If you have not installed the required patch), assign Administrator permissions to records with config-iss data tag, perform the following steps:
- On the Mid Tier, navigate to the UDM:Import form.
- Click New Search.
- In the DataTags field of the UDM:Import form, specify config-iss and click Search.
The search results will display all records with config-iss data tag.
- From the search results, click Select All > Modify All.
- From the Permissions field, select Groups > Administrator.
- Click Save.
The predefined Pentaho jobs and transformations are imported to the Pentaho repository.
Task 3: To extract the synchronization plug-in
Import the synchronization plug-in, so that any changes to existing Remedy ITSM Foundation data and newly-added Foundation data are automatically synchronized to BMC Helix Platform.
On the AR System server, extract the ZIP file ITSM_Innovation_Suite_Foundation_SYNC_Utility.zip.
From the extracted folder, copy the JAR file com.bmc.arsys.foundationsync-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar to the <defaultInstall>/ARSystem/<pluginsvr_home> directory.
Open the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console, and select System > General > Plugin Server Configuration.
For information about how to open the AR System Administration Console, see .
In the Plugin Configuration tab, click Create and provide the following values:
Field Action Plugin Name Enter the plug-in name as ARSYS.FOUNDATIONSYNC. Plugin Class Name
Enter the class name as follows:com.bmc.arsys.foundationsync.plugin.FoundationSyncPlugin
Plugin File Name
Provide the file name as follows:
Click the plus sign and enter the path element as follows:
ARSYS.FOUNDATIONSYNC.pathelement.type.location = <pluginsvr_home>\com.bmc.arsys.foundationsync-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
User Defined Elements
Click the plus sign and enter the user-defined element as follows:
ARSYS.FOUNDATIONSYNC.userDefined.NoOfThreads = 5
The following image shows an example of the values specified for the ARSYS.FOUNDATIONSYNC plug-in:
Restart the plug-in server to enable the plug-in.
For information about how to restart the plug-in server, see and .
To modify the Foundation data synchronization schedule
The synchronization plug-in is scheduled to run at 12 AM daily so the Foundation data changes synchronize every 24 hours. If you want, you can change the synchronization interval time.
- Start the BMC Remedy Developer Studio from BMC Remedy AR System server.
For information about how to start the BMC Remedy Developer Studio, see .
- Open the escalation ISS:REG:FoundationSYNC_Job.
- Specify the interval for executing the escalation.
You can define the escalation to run at a specific time or at a specific interval.
For information about how to modify the escalation, see .
Task 4: (If you are using Remedy ITSM 9.1.04) To install the latest JAR file for Remedy ITSM
If you are using Remedy ITSM version 9.1.04, after you import the predefined Pentaho jobs and synchronization plug-in, you must also install the latest JAR file else the Pentaho jobs are not imported.
- Open the pluginsvr_config.xml file.
The file is located in the pluginsvr subdirectory of your AR System server installation directory. This file should be in the same directory as the plug-in server JAR files and startup script.
- In the pluginsvr_config.xml file, add the following entry:
<pathelement type="location">C:/Program Files/BMC Software/ARSystem/diserver/data-integration/lib/commons-collections4-4.1.jar</pathelement>.
- Restart the plugin server.
For information about how to restart the ITSM service, see .
Where to go from here
|If you want to load custom Foundation data, identify the custom overlay fields|
in Remedy AR System documentation. After identifying the fields, you must return to BMC Helix Platform
to perform the next step in the workflow of loading Foundation data from Remedy ITSM.
|If you do not want to load custom Foundation data||Connecting the Foundation data repositories|