Creating join record definitions
You create a join record definition to combine data that is retrieved from multiple record definitions. The join record definitions are similar to database joins.
Before you begin
Before you create and manage record definitions, ensure that you have created a project and deployed it in BMC Helix Innovation Studio. For more information, see Creating a Project using Maven and the Archetype.
Application business analysts can customize the objects developed in their own applications and that are marked customizable by the developers, but cannot customize the objects developed in com.bmc.arsys. For example, objects in core BMC applications like Foundation, Approval, and Assignment cannot be customized.
To create a join record definition
- Log in to the BMC Helix Innovation Studio and navigate to the Workspace tab.
- Select the application for which you need to create the join record.
- On the Records tab, click New and select Join Record.
The Create New Join Record window appears as shown in the following image:
On the Record Definitions tab, specify the properties for the record definition.
The Application/Library scoped definitions are marked with an asterisk ( * ).
The following table provides information about the properties:
Field Description Primary record The main record for combining the data. Secondary record The secondary record for combining the data. Join type
The type of join for the record definition. You can select either of the join record types:
- Inner join—Selects entries only when corresponding values exist in both records.
- Outer join—Includes all of the entries from the record that you select as primary, even entries for which there are no matching entries in the secondary record.
- On the Join Criteria tab, specify the expression for joining the records, and click Next.
The query for joining the records is restricted to the conditions specified in the expression.
- On the Field Selection tab, select the fields from the primary and secondary records that you need to include in the join record, and click Save.
The following image shows the Field Selection tab:
- Save the record.