Creating Functional roles
To provide a person with access to one or more applications, administrators create and assign a functional role to a person record.
Functional role use case
Consider a scenario where Chris, the Change Assignee uses the Change Management application to issue and resolve a change ticket. Along with Change Management application Chris uses the following applications to issue and resolve the ticket:
- Knowledge Management, to refer to an existing knowledge article to resolve the issue, or create a new Knowledge article for future use.
- Service Level Management, to provide correct level of service to meet the need of the issue.
Chris, therefore, requires permissions to these applications to resolve a ticket. The administrator creates a functional role for Chris which enables Chris to perform his tasks.
The following table explains the tasks involved in creating a functional role for Chris:
Before you create the functional role, define the permissions if each deployed application by creating application roles.
|Creating and modifying application roles|
Define the following appliction roles with these associated permission levels:
Create a functional role to grant permission to the person to access and use the applications.
|Create a functional role|
To resolve a ticket using Change Management, Chris requires access to applications like Knowledge Management and Service Level Management and should have all the necessary permissions to perform the tasks on these applications.
Create Change Manager functional role which is a collection of all the following roles:
Assign the functional role to the person.
|Assign a functional role to a person|
Assign the Change Manager functional role to Chris. This enables Chris to easily access and use the applications with all of the required permission levels.
When you create a functional role and assign it to a person, the server performs certain tasks. For more information, see Server behavior.
To create a functional role
- Log in to BMC Helix Innovation Studio, navigate to the Administration tab, and select Configure My Server > Application Permissions > Manage Functional Roles to open the Functional Roles UI.
Click New to add a new role and perform the following actions:
Field Action Application Name Enter the name of the deployable application for which you are defining a functional role. Role Name Enter a unique name for the functional role. Description Enter a description for the functional role. Select Role Select the application roles that you want to combine into one functional role. The Selected Role section displays the list of application roles from multiple applications.
- Click Save.
You can also update (modify) or delete the functional roles using the Functional Roles UI.
To assign a functional role to a person
- In BMC Helix Innovation Studio, navigate to the Administration tab, select Foundation Data > Manage People.
- Select the appropriate person type: Employees, Agents, Customers, or Vendors.
- Select the person record for which you want to add the functional role and click Edit.
- From the Functional Roles field select the appropriate functional role.
- Click Save.
When you create, update, or delete functional or application roles, or when you export or deploy your applications, the server automatically performs certain tasks. After every action the server rebuilds the group list and updates the user record.
The following table provides the details:
|Action||Role||Tasks performed by the server|
|Update (modify)||Functional role|