Configuring a webhook callback for external applications
BMC Helix Platform supports webhook callbacks in an external application (only Adobe Sign and DocuSign is supported for now), so that the platform receives real-time notifications whenever an event takes place in the external application. These notifications can then be used to trigger specific rules or processes.
For more information, see Example of webhook callback in external applications.
If you want to use the webhook callback in multiple applications, you must create a new configuration for each application.
Before you begin
To configure the webhook callback
- Log in to BMC Helix Innovation Studio and navigate to the Administration tab.
- Select Webhook Connection > Callback Configuration > Webhook Callback Configuration.
On the Webhook Callback Configurations page, click New configuration.
On the Create New Callback Configuration page, in Configuration Name, type a meaningful name for this configuration.
For the callback configuration to work correctly, the configuration name must be the same in the development, QA, and production environments.
- From the Bundle Name list, select the name of the application for which you want to use the webhook callback.
- From the Processor list, select one of the following options:
- Adobe Sign
- To provide the external application's authentication credentials, perform one of the following steps:
- Click Save.
- On the Webhook Call Configuration page, open the configuration that you created.
In Callback URL, the URL is populated automatically.
The following image is an example of configuring a webhook callback for Adobe Sign:
Adding the webhook callback URL in external applications
After you've configured the webhook callback, you must add the webhook URL (callback URL) in Adobe Sign or DocuSign so that the application can connect to BMC Helix Platform.
To add the webhook URL in Adobe Sign
In Adobe Sign, you can add the webhook URL in the following ways:
- By using the Webhook UI. To use this method, perform the steps below:
- Log in to Adobe Sign.
- Click the Account tab.
- Select Webhooks, and click Create a new webhook.
- On the Create page, in Name, enter a name for the webhook.
- From the Scope list, select Account.
- In Url, type the Webhook URL that is displayed when configuring the webhook callback.
- From the Events list, select the events in Adobe Sign for which you want to be notified.
- In Notification Parameters, select the check boxes corresponding to the parameters for the selected events.
- Click Save.
The settings are saved only if the Webhook URL is valid and publicly accessible.
You have configured the webhook callback in BMC Helix Platform and selected the events for which you want to be notified.
To add the webhook URL in DocuSign
In DocuSign, you can add the webhook URL by completing the steps described in in DocuSign.
When specifying the URL to Publish in DocuSign, make sure that you change the webhook URL received earlier from http://webhookurl/ to https://webhookurl.
Triggering a rule to perform actions in an application
You can use the webhook configuration to trigger a rule in an application developed on BMC Helix Platform after the selected events occur in Adobe Sign or DocuSign.
Learn how to trigger a rule based on a webhook callback.
Troubleshooting the webhook callbacks
The Webhook Callback Entry Data record definition contains the audit information of callbacks coming from the external application.
To view the audit data, in the Workspace tab, select the application in which you are using the webhook callback and select Records > Webhook Callback > Edit Data.