Defining rules for sending email notifications
You can define rules for sending email notifications to assignees and other contacts (internal and external). When specific recipients are identified in notifications, formats for date and time zone fields in notifications are controlled by the user preferences of the recipients. Otherwise, the format settings from the work schedule assigned to the container are used.
If you plan to use email templates with this rule, make sure to create them before proceeding. For more information, see Configuring email templates.
To define a rule for sending email notifications
Open the item where you want to define the rule:
Click the Administration tab.
In the appropriate section, click name of the container, or click Manage to open the container Administration page. Then double-click the container.
- In the left pane of the container details page, click the item link, such as Record Definitions for workspaces.
- Double-click the item that you want to modify.
- In the left pane of the item details page, click Business Rules.
Icons for the rules associated with this item appear in the right pane.
- Click New Business Rule and select Email Notification.
The Rule Builder page appears. For detailed information about configuring different types of rules, see Types of business rules.
- In the Business Rule Name field, enter a descriptive name for this rule.
- (Optional) In the Description field, type a description that explains the purpose of this rule.
- In the Business Rule Schedule field, accept the default of Run Any Time, or select from the work schedules defined for this container.
- In the Triggers section, define the action or event that should activate this rule.
For detailed instructions, see Selecting triggers for business rules.
- In the Criteria section, define the condition that will trigger this rule.
For detailed instructions, see Defining criteria for business rules.
- In the Actions section:
- Click Add New Action.
- In the Action field, select Send email to.
- In the Recipient fields, select the users who will receive the email, and then select which email addresses to use.
- If you select Specified addresses, the Email Addresses field appears where you can enter the email addresses.
- If you select Addresses in a field, the Field Name field appears where you can select the field.
If you select Assignees, Supervisor of Assignees, Team leader of assigned Teams,Last Agent to edit Incident, or Incident submitter, check boxes appear where you can select from the defined email addresses.
NoteSelect at least one of the check boxes to ensure that the rule works.
- If you select Addresses in a linked record, the Link Type field appears where you can select the relationship.
- (Optional) In the Email Template field, select a template.
- (Optional) In the Importance field, select a delivery importance level.
- Click Create.
- Click Save.
- To implement your changes, in the breadcrumb trail, click the container link and then click Save and Publish.