Configuring Assignee and Owner fields
When you define a field for selecting assignees or owners, you can set the maximum number of entities (user or team) that can be assigned. For example, if you set the Number of Assignees field to 3, only three entities can be selected. It can be any combination of users and teams, but only three entries will be accepted in the Assignees list.
- Make sure to create an Assignment type field for all ticket-related forms.
- Users can add only the allowed number of entities. However, if they select an individual, that individual's team is not counted toward the allowed maximum (and not listed in the Assignees list).
To create an Assignee or Owner field
- Open the item where you want to add the field:
- Click the Administration tab.
- In the appropriate section, click the name of the container or click Manage to open the Workspace Administration page. Then double-click the container.
The container details page appears.
- In the left pane, click the item link (such as Record Definitions in workspaces or Contacts in address books).
The Items page appears.
- Double-click the item that you want to modify.
The item details page appears.
- In the left pane, click Fields.
- Click Add > Add Field.
- In the Field Type field, select Assignment.
In the Permissions field, accept the default of Optional or select the appropriate value.
Be aware that if you set the permissions to Required, your users must be able to select an assignee or owner before they can save the Ticket.
In the Number of Assignees field, select the maximum number of users and teams that can be assigned.
No more than 20 assignees can be selected and teams count as one assignee. For example, you can select a single user (such as a supervisor) plus a team and the total number of assignees will be 2 even though there are numerous users assigned to the team. Unlimited is selected by default.
- (Optional) To prevent teams from being assigned to this item, clear the Allow Team Assignment check box.
- Complete the other fields as needed.
- Click Save.
- When the success message appears, click the Item link in the breadcrumb trail.
- Add the field to the form:
- In the left pane, click Forms.
- Double-click the form where you want to add the new field.
- Add the Assignees field to the form, using the instructions in Configuring forms.
- Click Save.
- Publish the container to implement your changes:
In the breadcrumb trail, click the container link.
Click Save and Publish.
A confirmation message appears.
The Publication Succeeded message appears, showing the number of errors and warnings.