Defining rules to delete records
You can create rules to delete records that meet certain criteria. For example, users could be instructed to insert "DELETE" into the Title field of tickets that should be deleted. A rule can be defined using the Delete Item action to remove those records when they are saved or updated.
To define a rule for deleting records
- Open the item where you want to define the rule:
- Click the Administration tab.
- In the appropriate section, click the name of the container or click Manage to open the container Administration page, Then double-click the container.
The container Administration page appears.
- In the left pane, click the item link (such as Record Definitions in workspaces).
The Items page appears.
- Double-click the item that you want to modify.
The Item details page appears.
- In the left pane, click Business Rules.
- Click New Business Rule and select the appropriate rule type.
The Rule Builder page appears. For detailed information about configuring different types of rules, see Types of business rules.
- In the Business Rule Name field, enter a descriptive name for this rule.
- (Optional) In the Description field, type a useful description for this field.
- In the Business Rule Schedule field, accept the default of Run any time or select from the custom schedules defined for this container.
- In the Triggers section, select a trigger and configure the details.
- In the Criteria section, enter values to identify the item that you want to delete (such as Title fields that contain "DELETE"), and click Create.
- In the Actions section:
- Click Add new action.
- In the Action field, select Delete Item.
- Click Create.
- Click Save.
Publish the container to implement your changes:
In the breadcrumb trail, click the container link.
Click Save and Publish.
A confirmation message appears.
The Publication Succeeded message appears, showing the number of errors and warnings.