Defining rules to create records
You can define a rule that creates a record automatically and you can link the new record to the original record on which the rule is acting.
For example, if the rule is acting on a Master Ticket and two subtask tickets will be created, you can select whether to create a new Master Ticket plus the subtask tickets or create only the two subtask tickets and link them to the original Master Ticket.
If you plan to use Quick Ticket templates with this rule, make sure to create them before proceeding. For more information, see Creating and managing Quick Templates.
To define a rule that creates a record
- Open the item where you want to define the rule:
- Click the Administration tab.
- In the appropriate section, click the name of the container or click Manage to open the container Administration page. Then double-click the container.
The container details page appears.
- In the left pane, click the item link (such as Record Definitions in workspaces).
The Items page appears.
- Double-click the item that you want to modify.
The Item details page appears.
- In the left pane, click Business Rules.
- Click New Business Rule and select the appropriate rule type.
The Rule Builder page appears. For detailed information about configuring different types of rules, see Types of business rules.
- In the Business Rule Name field, enter a descriptive name for this rule.
- (Optional) In the Description field, type a useful description.
- (Optional) In the State field, select Not active if this rule is not ready for use.
You can also deactivate a rule temporarily and return to this page to activate it again. The Business Rule Type field is read-only.
- In the Business Rule Schedule field, accept the default of Run Any Time or select from custom schedules defined for this container.
- In the Triggers section, define the action or event that should trigger this rule.
For more information, see Selecting triggers for business rules.
- In the Criteria section, define the condition that will trigger this rule.
For more information, see Defining criteria for business rules.
- In the Actions section:
- Click Add new action.
- In the Action field, select Create New Record.
- (Optional) Create a linked record:
- Select Create and link.
- Select a relationship such as Ticket/CI: CI or Master/Subtask: Subtask.
For more information, see Defining actions for business rules.
- In the Record Type fields, select a container and an item type.
The options in this list are determined by the selections you made earlier. Only published containers are listed.
- (Optional) In the Quick Template field, select a template to use for the new record.
If you do not select a quick template, the current record is copied into the new record. If you did not select to link the new record but the template you selected includes linked fields, a message appears with two new options. Select whether to link to the original record or to the new record being created.
- Click Create.
- Click Save.
- Publish the container to implement your changes:
In the breadcrumb trail, click the container link.
Click Save and Publish.
A confirmation message appears.
The Publication Succeeded message appears, showing the number of errors and warnings