Defining rules to copy all fields from a linked item
You can define rules for copying the contents of all fields from an item in the same container or a different one. To copy between containers, you must configure the source and destination containers and configure the links (such as ticket to ticket) on the Relationships page of the source container.
To define a rule for copying all fields from a linked item
- Open the container where you want to define the rule:
- Click the Administration tab.
- In the appropriate section, click the container that is the destination for the copied information or click Manage to open the container Administration page. Then double-click the container.
The container Administration page appears.
- In the left pane, click Relationships and create a relationship between the source and destination items.
For detailed instructions, see Configuring relationships.
- In the left pane, click the item link (such as Record Definitions for workspaces).
The Items page appears.
- Double-click the item that you want to modify.
The Item details page appears.
- In the left pane, click Business Rules.
- Click New Business Rule and select the appropriate rule type.
The Rule Builder page appears. For detailed information about configuring different types of rules, see Types of business rules.
- In the Business Rule Name field, type a descriptive name for this rule.
- (Optional) In the Description field, type a description that explains the purpose of this rule.
- (Optional) In the State field, select Not Active if this rule is not ready for use.
- (Optional) In the Business Rule Schedule field, select a work schedule.
- In the Triggers section:
- Click Add new trigger.
- In the Available Triggers field, select a linking option.
Options are On Linked Item Create, On Linked Item Update, and On Linked Item Delete.
- In the Link Type field, select type of link that you want such as Related Tickets: Related Ticket.
- Click Create.
- In the Criteria section, create any conditions that will trigger this rule. For more information, see Defining criteria for business rules.
- In the Actions section:
- Click Add new action.
- In the Action field, select Set field value.
- In the Method field, select Copy all fields from linked.
- Click Create.
- Click Save.
Publish the container to implement your changes:
In the breadcrumb trail, click the container link.
Click Save and Publish.
A confirmation message appears.
The Publication Succeeded message appears, showing the number of errors and warnings.There is no need to publish the source container.