Defining rules to assign records to default users
You can define rules that assign records to particular users or teams. There are options for assigning users by default and for assigning them automatically when certain conditions occur. For more information about assigning records automatically, see Defining rules to assign records automatically.
- The users and teams that you need have already been created and are assigned to the container and its items.
- An assignment field has been created and added to the appropriate forms.
To define a rule to assign records to default users
- Open the item where you want to define the rule:
- Click the Administration tab.
- In the Workspaces section, click the workspace that you want to modify, or click Manage to open the Workspace Administration page. Then double-click the workspace.
- In the left pane of the Workspace details page, click Record Definitions.
- In the left pane of the Items page, double-click the item that you want to modify.
- In the left pane of the Items details page, click Business Rules.
Icons for the rules associated with this item appear in the right pane.
- Click New Business Rule and select Default Assignment Rule.
The Rule Builder page appears. For detailed information about configuring different types of rules, see Types of business rules.
- In the Business Rule Name field, enter a descriptive name for this rule.
- (Optional) In the Description field, type a description that explains the purpose of this rule.
- In the Business Rule Schedule field, accept the default of Run Any Time, or select from the work schedules defined for this container.
- In the Triggers section:
- Click Add New Trigger.
- In the Trigger field, select On Page Load. Then, select On Create or On Update.
- Click Create.
- In the Criteria section, define any conditions that are required for this rule.
For detailed instructions, see Defining criteria for business rules.
In the Actions section:
- Click Add New Action.
- In the Action field, select Change assignment of Incident.
- In the Assignees section, select users or teams in the Available Users list and move them to the Selected Users list.
- In the Assign Option section:
- Select the appropriate option in the first field.
- In the next field, select an assignment-type field.
- Select the types of users that will be assigned.
- Click Create.
- Click Save.
- To implement your changes, in the breadcrumb trail, click the Workspace link and then click Save and Publish.