Defining rules to assign records automatically
Records (such as tickets, solutions, and so on) can be assigned to different users and teams automatically based on the value selected in a field in the record. For example, if a workspace contains a field called Problem type, and Problem type includes Hardware, Software, and Network, tickets could be assigned automatically to specific users and teams depending on the selected problem type. In this way, the Hardware team is automatically assigned to Hardware problems, the Software group is automatically assigned to Software problems, and so on.
To accomplish this, you must define an Auto Assignment business rule. More complex assignment actions (based on multiple criteria, including contact fields, time, and so on), can be accomplished with escalation rules. For more information, see Defining escalation rules.
To define a rule to assign records automatically
- Open the item where you want to define the rule:
- Click the Administration tab
- In the Workspaces section, and click the workspace that you want to modify, or click Manage to open the Workspace Administration page. Then double-click the workspace.
- In the left pane of the Workspace details page, click Record Definitions.
- In the Items page, double-click the item that you want to modify.
- In the left pane of the Item details page, click Business Rules.
Icons for the rules associated with this item appear in the right pane.
- Click New Business Rule and select Auto Assignment Rule.
The Rule Builder page appears. For detailed information about configuring different types of rules, see Types of business rules.
- In the Business Rule Name field, type a descriptive name for this rule.
- (Optional) In the Description field, type a description that explains the purpose of this rule.
- In the Business Rule Schedule field, accept the default of Run Any Time or select from the work schedules defined for this container.
- In the Triggers section, define the action or event that will trigger this rule.
For detailed instructions, see Selecting triggers for business rules.
- In the Criteria section, define any conditions that will trigger this rule.
For detailed instructions, see Defining criteria for business rules.
- In the Actions section:
- Click Add New Action.
- In the Action field, select Change assignment of Ticket.
- In the Assignees section, select users or teams in the Available Users list and move them to the Selected Users list.
- In the Assign Option section:
- Select the appropriate option in the first field.
- In the next field, select any assignment-type field.
- Select the types of users that will be assigned.
If you select the Creator and Creator's team checkboxes, the record will be assigned to the Creator as a member of the Creator's team.
- Click Create.
- Click Save.
To implement your changes, in the breadcrumb trail, click the Workspace link and then click Save and Publish.