Defining rules for linking records
You can define rules for linking existing records. When a record is found that matches the criteria, the found record is linked to the originating record (even if there is no link control on the related form). If the appropriate link control is configured in the related form, a link to the found record appears on the record after the agent saves it. Options include selecting specific fields and values, and determining how multiple matches are managed. A record can be linked only once to another record, but can be linked to multiple records.
When configuring the link, you can use values from any field in a record or select user attributes such as email address. Selecting record field values allows you to find and link a target record based on values of the current record. Selecting a user attribute allows you to find and link a target record based on the user identified in the Updated By field. This is the user who created the record or who is the most recent user to edit the record. The user attribute option is especially useful for linking to contact records.
- Configure the record types that you want to link.
- Create the relationship between those record types.
To define a rule that links records
- Open the item where you want to define the rule:
- Click the Administration tab.
- In the appropriate section, click the name of the container that is the destination, or click Manage to open the container Administration page. Then double-click the container.
The container details page appears.
- In the left pane, click the item link (such as Record Definitions in workspaces).
The Items page appears.
- Double-click the item that you want to modify.
The Item details page appears.
- In the left pane, click Business Rules.
Click New Business Rule and select the appropriate rule type.
The Rule Builder page appears. For detailed information about configuring different types of rules, see Types of business rules.
- In the Business Rule Name field, enter a descriptive name for this rule.
- (Optional) In the Description field, type a useful description.
- (Optional) In the Business Rule Schedule Type field, select a work schedule.
- In the Triggers section:
- Click Add new trigger.
- In the Available Triggers field, select an appropriate trigger.
After Save is the most common option used for this type of rule but you can use this action for all on-server and time-based triggers (including Workflow triggers). Once the user saves the ticket, links to the found records appear in the appropriate link control. For more information, see Selecting triggers for business rules.
- Select On Update.
This is also the most common option, but you can also select On Create.
- Click Create.
- In the Criteria section, create any conditions that will trigger this rule.
For more information, see Defining criteria for business rules.
- In the Actions section:
- Click Add new action.
For more information, see Defining actions for business rules.
- In the Action field, select Link Existing Record.
- In the Link Type field, select the relationship that should be used for this rule.
- In the Target Record Type field, select the container and item that you want to link.
- In the Field in Linked Record field, select the appropriate field in the target (linked) record.
It is best to select fields that are similar. For example, if you select Employee Name in the linked record, you would select User Name in the originating record.
- In the Field in This Record field, select the type of field in this (current) record. Then, select the field.
Record field values include any field in the record (used for linking to any record type). User attribute values include user-related fields such as user ID, user name, primary email, and so on (used for linking to contact record types).
- In the Condition field, select the operator for locating the correct record.
Options are begins with, contains, and equal to for text fields and only equal to for any other field type.
In the More than 1 Found field, select whether to link to the first found record or to link to all found records.
If the found record is already linked to the current record, no link is created. If the found record is already linked to another record, a new link is added to the current record.
- Click Add new action.
- Click Save.
Publish the container to implement your changes:
In the breadcrumb trail, click the container link.
Click Save and Publish.
A confirmation message appears.
The Publication Succeeded message appears, showing the number of errors and warnings.
There is no need to publish the source container.