Adding a journaling field
Any field with a type of Simple Text, Rich Text, or Textarea can be configured to allow users to add information (called journaling). Each addition is stored as a separate entry within that field, accumulating the updates. Workspace administrators can enable journaling for the default Description field on an item (such as a ticket) or add a custom Description field.
When journaling is enabled, users can update the appropriate field when additional information becomes available or progress must be reported for a ticket. When users submit them via email, updates to journaling fields are appended automatically.
To add a journaling field to an item
Open the item where you want to add the field:
Click the Administration tab.
In the appropriate container section, click the container that you want to modify, or click Manage to open the container Administration page. Then double-click the container.
The container details page appears.
- In the left pane, click the item link (such as Record Definitions in workspaces or Contacts in address books).
The Items page appears.
- Double-click the item that you want to modify.
The item details page appears.
- In the left pane, click Fields.
- Click Add > Add Field.
The Field Properties page appears.
- Select or enter field properties, using the information provided below and the instructions in Configuring fields:
- In the Field Type field, select Simple Text, Rich Text, or Textarea.
- Next to View in List, clear the Display as Grid Column check box.
- Next to Journaling, select Enable journaling.
If you disable journaling after tickets are created and agents have entered information in the field, the latest journal entry appears in the field but no new entries can be added
- Click Save.
- For your users to access this field, you must add it to a form. For information about adding fields to forms, see Configuring forms.
- Click Save.
- Publish the container to implement your changes:
In the breadcrumb trail, click the container link.
Click Save and Publish.
A confirmation message appears.
The Publication Succeeded message appears, showing the number of errors and warnings.
- To test that this field works as planned, follow the instructions in Creating tickets.