The following hardware and software requirements must be met before installing FootPrints:
To view detailed compatibility information for this version, see . You will need a Support ID to log in to the site.
The following software is required:
- Server operating systems
- Web Server (Servlet Container)
- Client browsers
- Mobile Web browsers
Server operating systems
The following server operating systems are supported:
If you are using an existing customer relational database management system (RDBMS), the RDBMS may be installed on any compatible hardware or operating system. The following databases are supported:
|Microsoft SQL Server|
9.3 to 9.6.x
FootPrints requires one of the following open-source Java JDK:
- OpenJDK 13
- OpenJDK 12
- (2019 Release 01 and 2019 Release 02) OpenJDK 11
- (2019 Release 03 and later) FootPrints does not support OpenJDK 11.
- The default Java installations that are a part of the operating system might not include all the functionality required to run FootPrints.
Web Server (Servlet Container)
The Apache Tomcat is the only supported Web Server (Servlet Container) that can host the FootPrints application server. For performance considerations, use of a dedicated Tomcat instance is recommended.
The following Apache Tomcat versions are supported:
|FootPrints Version||Web Server Version|
|FootPrints 20.18.03 and later|
Apache Tomcat Version 8.5.x (64-bit)
|FootPrints 12.1.x and 20.18.02|
Apache Tomcat Version 7.0.x (64-bit)
- Download and install the Tomcat version from the Apache Tomcat website. The default Tomcat installations that are a part of the operating system might not include all functionality required to run FootPrints.
- Other Web Servers such as Apache or IIS can be configured to provide front-end access to the FootPrints Tomcat server instance to allow the setup of more secure deployments where Apache or IIS can run in the DMZ communicating with the FootPrints Tomcat instance running behind a firewall. These types of custom deployments are not supported by the current product installation process.
The following client browser versions are supported.
|Microsoft Edge||Latest version available as per FootPrints release date|
|Microsoft Internet Explorer||11|
|Mozilla Firefox||Latest version available as per FootPrints release date|
|Google Chrome||Latest version available as per FootPrints release date|
|Apple Safari||Latest version available as per FootPrints release date|
Mobile web browsers
The following browser versions are supported for the Mobile module.
|Chrome for Android||Latest version available as per FootPrints release date|
|Safari for IOS||Latest version available as per FootPrints release date|
The following types of security certificates are supported:
- DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER)
- Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER)
Unsupported certificate types: Cryptographic Message Syntax - PKCS #7 Certificates (.P7B) are not currently supported.
The hardware recommendations were derived from performance tests in dedicated virtual environments. It is possible that the values may be different for running FootPrints on physical servers and non dedicated servers. The following hardware is required:
|Application server||Installation folder size:||~340 MB|
|Windows Installer size:||~540 MB (1.4 GB with SQL Express)|
|Linux Installer size:||~400 MB|
|< 10 users|
|CPU||Four cores or more - Intel Xeon CPU X6550 (2.00 GHz)|
|10 to 100 users|
|CPU||Six cores - Intel Xeon CPU X6550 (2.00 GHz)|
|> 100 users|
|CPU||Eight or more cores - Intel Xeon CPU X6550 (2.00 GHz)|
Refer to recommendations by the specific database vendor.
The following parameters represent a typical minimum configuration.
|CPU||Two to four cores - Intel Xeon CPU X6550 (2.00 GHz)|
The FootPrints application server is configured by default to use up to 450 database connections. This connection pool setting is externally configurable to allow fine-tuning of the specific operational environment. The database server must be configured accordingly to support at least the same number of connections (sometimes termed “concurrent sessions”) for each FootPrints instance running against the same database server. By increasing the number of connections on the database server, the database host will experience increased CPU, memory and I/O activity so make sure the hosting hardware adequately supports the additional processing load.
The desktop which is used to access the FootPrints system must have a minimum screen resolution of 1280x720.
FootPrints officially supports the following 5 languages:
- Latin American Spanish
- Brazilian Portuguese
FootPrints has 5 built-in language packs and the users can change their language preference at any time. Additionally, FootPrints provides a utility for customers or partners to create new language packs for other languages. The ability to create and upload these language packs is fully supported. However, the contents of these language packs have no official support. Any defects that might arise from the contents of these added language pack that don’t occur with the 5 official supported languages will be fixed at the discretion of BMC.
Note the following important points:
- There is no official support for any right to left languages.
- Hieroglyph-based languages such as Japanese or Chinese, or any other language that require the use of double-byte characters are only supported in PostgreSQL installations and not in Microsoft SQL Server installations.