You can configure a custom field that captures data from request and response headers and content for later use. To perform this procedure, you must have Operator-level access, or higher on a Real User Collector. If necessary, obtain the Real User Collector credentials from your system administrator or service provider.
To add a primitive custom field
In a Real User Collector, point to the Administration > Data flow settings, and then click Custom fields.
- On the Action menu, click Create new primitive custom field.
- In the Field name and Description boxes, enter a name and a description for the new field.
- In the Grammar name box, type the name to use to access the new field through the system's Watchpoint filter grammar.
You can use this grammar name to create filters or Watchpoints with the new field.
- In the Export name box, enter the name to use to access the new field through the system data export feature.
This name will appear in the header of any export file containing the field.
- In the Expected data type list, select the data type that you want the system to validate your field with.
This specification ensures that you do not see a string when expecting a number, or a decimal number when expecting an IP address.
- In the Final output size limit box, enter the maximum number of characters for the field output (additional characters are truncated).
- Click Save.
The system creates a primitive custom field. Now you can add an extraction rule to this custom field.
Adding custom fields on the Analyzer
Adding an extraction rule to a custom field