Contents

 Where to find more information

For more information about Control-M, see the BMC channel on Youtube.

BMC on Youtube.com

Components and Requirements

The following are the Control-M Automation API components and their requirements:

ComponentFunctionRequirement
Control-M Workbench

A personal Control-M development environment that contains REST API that enables you to build, run, and test your job flows.

Supported environments:

Oracle VirtualBox tested on version 5.1.18. We recommend to get the latest.

Installation instructions

Control-M REST API

A set of commands that enables you to test, run and deploy job definitions and packages to Control-M. Also, it enables you to provision a Control-M/Agent, manage environments, and more.

Available from Control-M/Enterprise Manager 9.0.00.200 or higher

Installation instructions

Control-M Automation Command Line Interface (CLI)

Node.js package that exposes the Control-M REST API as a Command Line Interface (CLI).

Note: The CLI and REST API back end server version must be the same to initiate a connection. If the version is not compatible, an error appears. You can either upgrade or downgrade the CLI version to ensure versions are compatible. Any upgrade to the server, forces an upgrade on the CLI machine.

Node.js 4.x or higher and npm 3.x or higher

Note: npm is usually installed with Node.js.

Installation for Windows, Linux, macOS, and other platforms)

The CLI provision command requires Java 8 or higher.

 

Control-M Automaton API Installation Options

You can  install your own personal Control-M Workbench on your computer or access Control-M REST API from a Control-M installed instance.

Control-M Workbench

This section describes how to install an Open Virtual Appliance (OVA) on your personal computer that enables you to have your own Control-M working environment.

Installation of Virtual Machine Platform

Step 1 - Install Oracle VirtualBox

Download your preferred platform from the following link, and follow the corresponding instructions to install Oracle VirtualBox on your computer:

Step 2 - Download and Install Control-M Workbench

  1. Download the Control-M Workbench appliance to your computer. 
  2. From the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager, go to File>Import Appliance and select the workbench.ova file that you downloaded to your computer and wait for the import process to complete.
  3. From the left pane, select workbench and click Start to run the appliance. 
  4. After workbench is up and running, click https://localhost:8443/automation-api/startHere.html to get started.

 

Return to the Getting Started Guide

Control-M Automation CLI

Installation for Windows

Step 1 - Install or Upgrade Node.js

  • Using a browser, download the Node.js Windows Installer from https://nodejs.org/en/download/
  • Run the installer and follow the instructions on screen.
  • Node.js installer includes the npm (Node Package Manager) utility. For requirement details, see CLI Requirements. Verify you have the required version installed by entering the following commands as shown in this example:
 >node -v
v6.2.0
>npm -v
3.8.9

Some Node.js installers include npm version 2.x or below. To upgrade npm, use the following command:

>npm -g install npm@latest

Step 2 - Download Command Line Interface (CLI)

Download ctm-cli.tgz node package from :

Step 3 - Install the CLI

Run cmd, type the following command from the directory where you saved the ctm-cli.tgz file, to install ctm-cli.tgz node package:

>npm -g install ctm-cli.tgz

Step 4- Test the CLI Installation

Run the following command:

>ctm
help:
help:    Display help for a given command
help:      help [command]
help:
help:    Commands:
help:      build          Compile definitions to verify they are valid for Control-M
help:      config         Configure the Control-M environment
help:      deploy         Submit definitions to Control-M
help:      documentation  Get documentation
help:      environment    Define and select the Control-M environment
help:      local          Start and Stop local Development bench
help:      package        Package a directory of definition files into a deployable archive
help:      provision      Install Control-M components
help:      run            Run and track CTM jobs
help:      samples        Manage data samples
help:      session        Manually maintain Control-M user sessions
help:
help:    Options:
help:      -h, --help     output usage information
help:      -v, --version  output the application version

Step 5 - Install Java for the provision service

>"%JAVA_HOME%"\bin\java -version
java version "1.8.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)

Return to the Getting Started Guide.

Installation for Linux

Use the following instructions to install on a Linux machine.

Step 1 - Install or Upgrade Node.js

  • Using a browser, follow the instructions for your Linux flavor at https://nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/
  • It is recommended to install the latest stable Node.js. The Node.js installer includes the npm (Node Package Manager) utility.
  • For requirement details, see CLI Requirements. Verify you have the required version installed using the following commands as shown in this example:
>node -v
v6.2.0
>npm -v
3.8.9

Some Node.js installers include npm version 2.x or below. To upgrade npm, use the following command:

>sudo npm -g install npm@latest

Step 2 - Download Command Line Interface (CLI)

Download ctm-cli.tgz node package from:

For example, using the following command:

>wget http://<controlMEndPoint>:8443/automation-api/ctm-cli.tgz

An endPoint is the URI for Control-M Automation API.

Step 3 - Install the Command Line Interface (CLI)

Use the following command to install ctm-cli.tgz node package:

>sudo npm -g install ctm-cli.tgz

Step 4 - Test the CLI Installation

Run the following command:

>ctm
help:
help:    Display help for a given command
help:      help [command]
help:
help:    Commands:
help:      build          Compile definitions to verify they are valid for Control-M
help:      config         Configure the Control-M environment
help:      deploy         Submit definitions to Control-M
help:      documentation  Get documentation
help:      environment    Define and select the Control-M environment
help:      local          Start and Stop local Development bench
help:      package        Package a directory of definition files into a deployable archive
help:      provision      Install Control-M components
help:      run            Run and track CTM jobs
help:      samples        Manage data samples
help:      session        Manually maintain Control-M user sessions
help:
help:    Options:
help:      -h, --help     output usage information
help:      -v, --version  output the application version

Step 5 - Install Java to use the provision service

>java -version
java version "1.8.0_91"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.91-b14, mixed mode)

Return to the Getting Started Guide.

Installation for macOS

Follow the steps to install the CLI and REST API on a Mac OS.

Step 1 - Install or Upgrade Node.js

  • Using a browser, download the Node.js Mac OS X installer from https://nodejs.org/en/download/
  • Run the installer and follow the instructions on screen.
  • The Node.js installer includes the npm (Node Package Manager) utility. For requirement details, see CLI Requirements. Verify you have the required version installed using the following commands as shown in this example:
>node -v
v6.2.0
>npm -v
3.8.9

Some Node.js installers include npm version 2.x or below. To upgrade npm, use the following command:

>sudo npm -g install npm@latest

Step 2 - Download Command Line Interface (CLI)

Download ctm-cli.tgz node package from:

For example, using the following command:

>wget http://<controlMEndPoint>:8443/automation-api/ctm-cli.tgz

An endPoint is the URI for Control-M Automation API.

Step 3 - Install the Command Line Interface (CLI)

Use the following command to install ctm-cli.tgz node package:

>sudo npm -g install ctm-cli.tgz

Step 4 - Test the CLI Installation

Run the following command:

>ctm
help:
help:    Display help for a given command
help:      help [command]
help:
help:    Commands:
help:      build          Compile definitions to verify they are valid for Control-M
help:      config         Configure the Control-M environment
help:      deploy         Submit definitions to Control-M
help:      documentation  Get documentation
help:      environment    Define and select the Control-M environment
help:      local          Start and Stop local Development bench
help:      package        Package a directory of definition files into a deployable archive
help:      provision      Install Control-M components
help:      run            Run and track CTM jobs
help:      samples        Manage data samples
help:      session        Manually maintain Control-M user sessions
help:
help:    Options:
help:      -h, --help     output usage information
help:      -v, --version  output the application version

Return to the Getting Started Guide.

Installation on Other Platforms

When installing on other platforms, make sure the above requirements are met for Node.jsnpm, and Java. 

 

Return to the Getting Started Guide.

Control-M/Enterprise Manager Installation 

Follow the instructions in the release notes and administrator's guide.

 

Was this page helpful? Yes No Submitting... Thank you