This topic describes how service requests are different from changes requests. It contains the following information:
Service requests definition
A service request, or work order, is a change to a service or a request for an operational task. Requests for change (RFCs) are not required to implement service requests.
Service requests typically have the following characteristics:
- Approval is automatically granted by the delegated authority.
- The tasks are well known, documented, and proven.
- Authority is effectively given in advance for the change.
- The request is included as part of the service offering.
- The risk is usually low and well understood.
Change requests definition
A change request requires authorization by the Change Advisory Board (CAB). A change request might involve a significant change to the service or infrastructure, or it might carry a high degree of risk. It may also be submitted by BMC SaaS Operations, for example infrastructure changes, or by the customer, for example a request to promote code from one environment to another. RFCs are required to implement change requests. To submit a RFC, use the Request a Change offering from the BMC OnDemand support portal.
Examples of service requests and change requests
The following table lists examples of service requests and change requests:
|Examples of service requests made to BMC||Customer administrator tasks (require no BMC SaaS Operations involvement)||Change request examples|
- Modify text for available fields in SYS:Notification Messages
- Configure pager service
- Enable or disable client or server-side logging
- Enable or disable mailbox configuration
- Enable or disable entitled application services
- Request a Lifecycle Request
- Data configuration items such as:
- Add, modify, or revoke user licenses
- Add, modify, or delete users in support groups
- Add, modify, or delete support users
- Add, modify, or disable support groups
- Add categorization data (operational, product, and resolution)
- Change assignments
- Change service level agreement (SLA) configuration
- Create or modify a company
- Create an organization or department
- Create or modify sites
- Create a region or site group
- Edit or delete a support group
- Edit or delete a product catalog
- Edit or delete a model or version
- Manage DSL
- Configure BMC Atrium CMDB Normalization Engine rules
- Configure BMC Atrium CMDB Reconciliation Engine rules
- Create BMC Remedy Action Request System (BMC Remedy AR System) reports or web reports
- Schedule BMC Remedy AR System reports or web reports
- Change architecture
- Apply of SSL certificates
- Migrate bulk data from one environment to another
- Migrate code from one environment to another
- Customize applications
- Apply hot fixes (OS, application, database)
- Change infrastructure
- Commision or decomission storage
- Apply patches or upgrade (OS, application, database)
- Configure Reconciliation Engine rules
- Change security or network policies
- Change server level configuration
- Deprovision or provision VMs
- Migrate service request definitions (SRDs)
- Migrate service level targets (SLTs)
- Configure BMC Atrium Integration transformation and jobs