You can configure the properties of the BMC PATROL Agent and specify the action that the BMC PATROL Agent must perform when the policy is applied.
Before you begin
If you have not done so already, perform the steps provided under the following sections:
To define an agent configuration
On the Agent Configuration page, under Agent Properties, provide the following details:
User name that you want to use to run the BMC PATROL Agent. The user name must have access permissions to the BMC PATROL Agent directory.
You need to provide an Agent user name and password only if they are different from what was previously configured.
|Password||Password for the specified user name|
|Confirm Password||Password for the specified user name|
|Restart Agent||Selecting Restart Agent restarts the BMC PATROL Agent after the policy is applied.|
Note: Ensure that you select Restart Agent if you want the user name change to take effect.
Note: While editing a policy, if you select Restart Agent and provide the same default account information as what was provided while creating the policy, the PATROL Agent is not restarted. To restart the PATROL Agent, use the Query Agent screen in Central Monitoring Administration. For more information, see Executing tasks on BMC PATROL Agents.
| Tag||Tags that you want to assign to the BMC PATROL Agent. The format of each tag is tagName:tagDescription. If the tag description contains spaces, enclose the description within double quotes. You can also provide multiple tags, separated by commas.|
For example, tag1:"Brief Description",tag2:"Description"
|BMC ProactiveNet Integration Service||An Integration Service or an Integration Service Cluster that you want to set as BMC PATROL Agent phone home. The supported values are as follows:|
- Single Integration Service
- Integration Service Cluster
If you have selected Integration Service Cluster, you have the option to create a new cluster. Click New to create a new cluster. For more information about creating a cluster, see Managing a BMC ProactiveNet Integration Service cluster through Central Monitoring Administration.
Under Event Configuration Properties, provide the following details:
|Events forwarding destination||Specifies where the events generated by the BMC PATROL Agents must be sent. The supported destinations are as follows:|
- Integration Service Settings—Allows to use the settings on the Integration Service to which the BMC PATROL Agent is connected
- Cell(s)—Allows to send the events to one or more cells. In the Events Cells List box, specify the cells to which you want to send the events, separated by commas. In the Events Cells List box, specify the cell or cells (in case of an HA environment) to which you want to send the events, separated by commas. The format of each cell is cellName/cellPort, where cellName is the name of the cell and the cellPort is the port number through which the agent communicates with the cell. In case, more than one cell is specified, the event is sent to the first cell. If the first cell is not available, it is sent to the second cell and so on.
For example, cell1/1111,cell2/1203
Also, in the Event Cell Shared Key box, specify the shared key which is used for encryption. The default shared key is mc.
- Do not send events—Stops sending the events
|Events Format Container||String to append to the name of the events generated by the agents. The default string is BPPM.|
- If you want to configure time intervals for data collection, under Poll Interval Settings, click Add , and perform the following tasks:
- In the Add Poll Interval dialog box, select a solution, its version, and a monitor type.
- In the Parameter list, specify the parameter for which you want to create the poll interval.
- In the Parameter Poll Interval list, update the poll interval value.
- Click Add.
- To add more poll intervals, repeat step a through step d.
- Click Close or Finish.
To edit a poll interval
- On the Agent Configuration page, under Poll Interval, in the Parameter column, select a parameter for which you want to edit the poll interval.
- Click Edit .
- In the Edit Poll Interval dialog box, update the poll interval, and click Update.
- Click Close.
To delete a poll interval
- On the Agent Configuration page, under Poll Interval, in the Configured Poll Interval table, perform one of the following tasks.
- To delete all the poll intervals based on a solution name and all its version, in the Solution column, select a value.
- To delete all the poll intervals based on a version of the monitoring solution and its monitor types, in the Version column, select a value.
- To delete all the poll intervals based on a monitor type and its attributes, in the Monitor Type column, select a value.
- To delete the poll intervals based on a parameter, in the Parameter column, select a value.
- Click Delete.
- In the Delete Confirmation dialog box, click Yes.
Where to go from here
Specifying server configuration
Defining a configuration variable