BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization provides two ways of collecting data for supporting Capacity Management use cases:
- BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization Connectors: Connectors can integrate with various data sources by means of ETL modules, that are based on Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) technology. For more information, see Collecting data via ETL modules.
- BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization Agents: By leveraging the Gateway Server, operating system data is collected from managed nodes running capacity agents. For more information, see Capacity Agents.
Types of ETL modules
ETL modules in BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization are classified as follows:
- Supported ETL modules: These are further classified as:
- Out-Of-The-Box (OOTB) ETL modules: Distributed with the product and do not require an additional license entitlement. They are developed and supported by BMC, and as per BMC support policies. For details, see Out-of-the-box ETL modules.
- BMC "Market Zone" Partner ETL modules: Provided by BMC partners and may require an additional license entitlement. They are supported by BMC, as per BMC support policies. For details, see Sentry ETL modules and Moviri ETL modules.
- Custom ETL modules: These ETL modules can be created by customers, BMC Professional Services and BMC deployment partners and do not require an additional license entitlement. BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization provides a Software Development Kit (SDK) that also includes an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that can be used to easily create custom ETL modules for any data-source. For more information, see Developing custom ETLs. The BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization SDK is supported by BMC, however custom ETL modules are not supported by BMC as noted on the Customization Policy page of the BMC Support website.
- Community-based ETL modules: These community-based (formerly known as "template") ETL modules are not distributed with the product and do not require an additional license entitlement. They are provided on an as-is basis and are not supported by BMC (as noted on the Customization Policy page of the BMC Support website). You can download all these ETL modules from
Depending on how ETL modules extract data from their data sources, they are also classified as Parsers and Extractors.
Where to go from here
For more information on data collection in BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization, see: