BMC Capacity Optimization allows data to be imported automatically from CSV files via some general purpose connectors. Each CSV file may contain data related to either performance and configuration data or Business Drivers.
Before deploying and configuring the appropriate ETL tasks, it is recommended to go through the following preparatory steps:
- Analyze the CSV-file structure: Analyze the structure of your CSV files and identify the dataset structure (vertical or horizontal) that fits with the structure of your CSV file. For more information, see Horizontal and Vertical datasets.
- Determine the dataset and metrics to use: Determine the dataset and metrics that match with the actual data and metrics contained in your CSV file. You will then use the selected datasets and metrics to load your data into the BMC Capacity Optimization database. For more information, see Datasets and metrics. (The full list of datasets and metrics and their related description and unit of measure can be easily accessed from the BMC Capacity Optimization console. Simply navigate to Administration > DATA WAREHOUSE > Datasets & metrics.)
Determine the mandatory columns: Make necessary changes to your CSV file by determining and including in them all mandatory columns for the datasets you have chosen. If needed, check descriptions for each mandatory column to understand if you need to include a particular value to some of them (for instance, if SUBOBJNM is absent, use DS_SUBOBJNM, and so on).
- Select a connector: Select the ETL module to import the data included into your CSV files and to deploy and configure the ETL task to be used for the import. Performance and configuration data included in CSV files can be imported into the BMC Capacity Optimization database by leveraging the following generic out-of-the box connectors or custom connectors:
- Generic - CSV Columnar File Parser: Use this connector if the structure of your CSV file fits with the horizontal dataset structure.
- Generic – CSV File Parser: Use this connector if the structure of your CSV file fits with the vertical dataset structure.
Horizontal and Vertical datasets
Generic - CSV Columnar File Parser
Generic – CSV File Parser
Developing custom ETLs
Datasets and metrics
Out-of-the-box ETL modules