To install the BMC Synthetic Transaction Execution Adapter (TEA) Agent for monitoring of synthetic transactions, you can use an interactive installation wizard, as described in this topic, or a silent (unattended) installation.
When you install the TEA Agent, you configure settings for the Agent service and connections to the BMC TrueSight App Visibility portal.
You can run the installation utility more than once to install more than one TEA Agent on a single computer. Each agent must have a unique name and a separate installation directory.
Before you begin
- Identify the exact host computers where you want to install TEA Agents. TEA Agents are grouped into Locations, which are logical groups (such as by geographical location or application type), that are used for load balancing and high availability.
- Verify that all requirements described in TEA Agent system requirements are met.
- Download the necessary installation files according to the instructions in Downloading the installation files.
- Perform the relevant tasks listed in Preparing to install the TrueSight Operations Management solution.
- Perform the procedure in Preparing for installation of the TEA Agent.
- Complete or review the installation planning worksheet.
To install the Transaction Execution Adapter Agent
Data is required for all fields in the installation utility except for proxy server details.
- Log on to the host computer where you will install the TEA Agent as a user with administrator privileges and extract the downloaded files to a temporary directory.
- Run the setup.exe file.
- On the welcome page of the product installer, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
The utility checks the for required software components and available space.
On the Directory Selection page, enter the path for the installation directory or click Browse to select a directory, and then click Next.
The default installation directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\BMC Software\BMCTEAAgent.
On the Agent Configuration page, enter the following values and click Next:
Installation parameter Description TEA Agent Name Name of the service that runs the Transaction Execution Adapter Agent on the host computer, and the Agent Name in the BMC Application Management Console.
The service name has a prefix, BMC TEA Agent, so the final name is BMC TEA Agent yourName. Your part of the service name (yourName) can be up to 40 characters.
Note: TEA Agent names must be unique. If you install more than one agent, enter a unique name for each agent.
Location name to which the TEA Agent will be associated.
If the Location name already exists in the system, the TEA Agent is associated with that location. If the Location name does not exist, a new Location is created.
Results Archive Password
Define a password to extract data from archived files in the execution logs.
When a TEA Agent executes an Execution Plan, a local results file and related files are archived in a secure zip file that is protected with this password. The password uses Triple-DES encryption in ECB mode (DES_ecb3_encrypt).
Note: You can set a different results archive password for each TEA Agent, or use the same password.
Confirm Password Enter the password again.
On the TrueSight App Visibility Portal and Proxy Configuration page, enter the following values and click Next:
The installation utility tests the connection with the App Visibility portal or the proxy server. If the connection fails, modify the details immediately.
- If access to the App Visibility portal is through a load balancing server, such as in a high-availability environment, enter the connection information for the load balancer.
- Proxy server details are required only if you are using a proxy server.
Installation parameter Description
App Visibility portal Host Name (FQDN)
Fully qualified domain name of the App Visibility portal server
Port number for the App Visibility portal
The default port is 8100.
Proxy Server (Optional) Type of proxy server if applicable Default value is No Proxy. If you are connecting to the portal using a proxy server, select the type of proxy server from the list. Possible values are HTTP or SOCKS. When you select a value, additional fields for proxy server details are enabled. Proxy Host Name or IP Address (Optional) Host name or IP address of the proxy server your agent uses to communicate. Proxy Port (Optional) Port number of the proxy server your agent uses to communicate.
At this stage in the installation you may see the following message:
Test connection could not establish a secure connection with App Visibility. If you are using a custom certificate, after you install, use the certificate replacement tool to replace the agent certificate.
If you see this message, you need to replace your TEA Agent security certificate after installation is finished. See for more details.
- Review the details in the Installation Preview page and click Install.
Installation begins. A progress bar indicates the percentage of the installation that has completed.
On the Installation Summary page, click View Log to examine the installation log, then click Done to exit the installation utility.
To verify that the TEA Agent installation was successful
- Using Windows Administration Tools to view local services, ensure that the service for the BMC TEA Agent is running.
If the service is not running, check in the BMCTEAAgent_upgrade_log.txt file (located in the %temp% directory) for warnings or errors.
- Log on to the Presentation Server with Administrator access.
- From the navigation menu, select Administration > App Visibility Agents.
- Ensure that your installed Agent is listed in the table and that the Agent status is Online.
Where to go from here
After you install the BMC Transaction Execution Adapter Agent, the service automatically starts and the Agent is automatically registered by the Presentation Server. The Agent is ready to receive .