Monitoring Studio X for PATROL is a multifaceted solution:
- A standard Knowledge Module (KM) that enables you to monitor in BMC TrueSight almost any technology (application, server, device, etc.) for which there is no out-of-the-box monitoring solution
- A Web Interface that lets you configure and troubleshoot the PATROL Agent
- A fully-documented REST API to programmatically interact with the PATROL Agent
This toolbox enables you to monitor almost any technology (application, server, device, etc.) for which there is no out-of-the-box monitoring solution. In a few clicks, you can cover up to 100% of your technologies in your BMC monitoring environment or as a standalone solution. Compatible with Linux/UNIX and Windows, using Monitoring Studio X is a simple and effective way to rapidly deploy the monitoring of custom technologies without any coding. It also has the benefits of a “standard” solution: maintenance, updates, patches, etc. to further respond to growing technological needs for specific business-critical technologies.
Monitoring Studio X offers a large choice of Monitors that allows you to configure the monitoring of the following technologies (application, server, device, information source, etc.):
- Command Lines to execute commands on Windows, UNIX, and Linux systems and analyze their outputs.
- Database queries to execute SQL queries to Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL Server, Oracle Database Server and PostgreSQL databases and analyze their outputs.
- Files to monitor LOG and flat files and know for example when a critical file goes missing, if its size is growing too fast, etc.
- File Systems to monitor the file system’s usage, growth and ensure data is always available.
- Folders to monitor folders usage and their files flow and modification.
- Multi-parameter formula to monitor all the KMs loaded in the PATROL console. You can extract parameters' value, compute them, and perform additional operations (units conversion, correlation, etc.)
- Nagios to integrate and monitor Nagios plugins execution results directly in BMC TrueSight Operations Management or to import an existing Nagios configuration from a Nagios server.
- Processes to ensure that the application’s processes are running properly.
- WBEM Queries to execute WBEM queries to a system and analyze their results.
- SNMP Polling to poll SNMP agents and collect critical information about the middleware.
- SNMP Trap to monitor and listen to SNMP traps and be notified early when a problem occurs.
- Web Requests to monitor web-based applications, send HTTP requests, post forms and ensure that end-users actually see what they should.
- Windows Event Logs to monitor events posted by an application
- Windows Performance Counters to collect information about objects (processors, threads, processes, memory, etc.) present on a Windows server.
- Windows Services to monitor Windows services.
- WMI queries to retrieve and analyze the results of WQL queries.
- String searches and numeric extractions: to search for critical strings or extract numeric values from the information sources previously configured (flat or LOG files, output of a Web request or of a database query, etc.).
The Monitoring Studio X Web Interface is free to use and provides a modern, interactive and powerful way to visualize, configure and manage your monitored environment from an easy-to-use Web-based console.
The Web Interface is available directly on the PATROL Agent and also from TrueSight Presentation Server. Accessing the Web Interface in TrueSight requires the installation and configuration of the TrueSight Component that will channel all the interactions with the PATROL Agent through TSIM and the Integration Services.
The REST API is free to use and provided with Monitoring Studio X to help you interact with the PATROL Agent and its main components. You gain access to:
- Agent (platform information, logs)
- Agent Configuration (pconfig)
- Console (monitored instances and parameters)
- Various tools
The Monitoring Studio X REST API leverages OAuth 2.0 for the authentication on the PATROL Agent, and the standard RSSO authentication when accessed through TrueSight Presentation Server.
The REST API is fully documented using the OpenAPI standard.
Integration with Prometheus
Prometheus is a monitoring and alerting toolkit developed as a standalone open-source project. The Prometheus ecosystem consists of:
- the main Prometheus server which scrapes and stores time series data
- client libraries
- a push gateway
- exporters for services
- an alertmanager.
Monitoring Studio X users can expose PATROL numeric parameters in Prometheus with the PATROL Agent Exporter for Prometheus and import any Prometheus exporter to Monitoring Studio X using the prometheusExporterTemplate.cfg template.