Before starting the installation process, plan your deployment based on the size of the infrastructure. See Performance and scalability recommendations for recommendations on the number of servers and associated hardware are suitable for your environment.
BMC recommends that you plan for a multiple-server deployment unless you are absolutely sure that you will not need a larger environment in the future. With a multiple-server deployment, you can more easily add BMC ProactiveNet Child Servers as the number of managed devices and metrics grows.
Prerequisites for installation
Before deployment, ensure that the following components are available for the installation. See Downloading the BMC ProactiveNet software for details.
- Installation utilities for the required server platform
- Separate computers to host the BMC ProactiveNet Central Server, BMC ProactiveNet Child Servers, and the Integration Services
- Required server hardware, according to the scaling needs
- License files for BMC ProactiveNet
- Open ports if there are firewalls between the various servers
- BMC ProactiveNet Central Monitoring Repository must be available and extracted before beginning the installation process
Recommended order of installation
- With the BMC ProactiveNet Server installation utility, select to install BMC ProactiveNet Central Server with the Central Monitoring Repository, a required component for the monitoring solution installation packages and configuration features.
- Apply the same license version to the BMC ProactiveNet Central Server and Child Servers.
- Install BMC ProactiveNet Child Servers and enter the BMC ProactiveNet Central Server location to register the child server with the Central Server.
In the navigation pane of Central Monitoring Administration, click the Repository drawer and select Integration Service. From the BMC ProactiveNet Agent Software table, select an installation utility for a specified operating system, and save the file to the computer on which you will install the software.
- Install the Integration Service on each designated computer and determine the following, depending on your sizing requirements:
- Number of Integration Service hosts
- Which child servers to configure with Integration Service hosts
Add the installed Integration Service to the appropriate BMC ProactiveNet Child Server, this can be done either by using the BMC ProactiveNet Administration Console OR the "pw remote add" CLI.
BMC recommends that you use the FQDN name when entering the name of the Integration Service.
- Agent deployment and policy creation are covered in later sections.
- BMC does not recommend adding an Integration Service to, or performing monitoring from, the BMC ProactiveNet Central Server.
- BMC recommends doing all monitoring through BMC PATROL Agents.
- BMC expects that the latency between BMC ProactiveNet components that are hosted on different computers is similar to that of a typical LAN system. Higher latency could result in data collection delays.
Modifying the Central Monitoring Administration deployment configration
Configuration considerations for Central Monitoring Administration