BMC Application Problem Resolution (BMC AppSight) enables you to find the application server executions corresponding to a synthetic transaction and to uncover the root cause of application problems for the specific transaction. The integration of the BMC TM ART Adapter with BMC AppSight involves the customization of the BMC TM ART Monitor Workbench web transaction scripts to force a tag into all HTTP headers sent from the monitor. BPPM TM ART Adapter detailed diagnostics then provide an option for a BMC AppSight drilldown that retrieves the tag used for the specific monitor and execution from BMC TM ART and presents detailed execution information for the tag.
For more information about using the Application Diagnostics feature for BMC AppSight integrations, see the BMC ProactiveNet Data Adapter and Monitor Guide.
To set up the integration with BMC AppSight, you must perform the following tasks:
- Set the connection between the BMC ProactiveNet Server and the BMC AppSight repository through the pronet.conf file.
- Implement transaction tagging in the BMC TM ART Workbench script.
- Configure intelligent BMC TM ART events.
The following sections provide instructions for each of the required tasks:
To set the connection with the BMC AppSight repository
- Locate the pronet.conf file, typically found in the ProactiveNet root\pw\pronto\conf directory.
- Within this file, find the line with the applicationDiagnostics.remoteURL property.
- Copy this line into the pronet.conf file that you have in the custom directory, and set its value to point to your AppSight TeamLayer repository. By setting the value in the custom copy of the file, you ensure that the setting is maintained even after server upgrades.
- Restart your BMC ProactiveNet server.
To implement transaction tagging in the BMC TM ART Workbench script
Edit the Workbench script by adding the following lines:
- Add the
use "HttpHeaderTagging.bdh" statement to the beginning of the project.
- Add the
TagHeader(); function call to as the first line after the begin in the TMain transaction. All subsequent HTTP calls made in the script's execution will automatically get a tag added to the HTTP header. The tag is unique for each execution run of the monitor but the same value for each HTTP call within the same run.
To configure intelligent BMC TM ART events
- In your BMC ProactiveNet Operations (web) console, click Options.
- Select the Administration tab.
- Beside the Intelligent Event Thresholds setting, click Edit.
- Locate the BMC TM ART Transaction monitor type, and in the Absolute Global Threshold column click Edit. Then set thresholds as appropriate, and click Apply.
- Back on the Administration tab, beside the Event Rules setting, click Edit.
- On the Event Rule Administration panel, click on the Add button to define an event rule.
- Through the Add Event Rule wizard, define your event rule for the BMC TM ART Transaction monitor type. Note the following special guidelines:
- Set the event type filter to Intelligent Events. Ensure that External Events is not selected.
- For the Monitor Type filter, select the BMC TM ART Transaction monitor type.
- For the Severity/State filter, select Open and clear the Close option.
- For the Run Agent Diagnostics settings, select Application Diagnostics.
For more information about adding an event rule, see the BMC ProactiveNet User Guide.