This procedure applies only if you are migrating from SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 to 4.0 or 4.1. If you have already migrated to SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0 or 4.1, you can create a backup of your universe and reports by using the Lifecycle Management Tool.
Before you begin
If you are performing an upgrade and you are not using a linked universe, you must have recorded your customizations before performing this task.
To back up the universe and reports
- Using Microsoft Windows Explorer, create a new empty file named <universe>-BACK.biar in a directory that you create as a backup directory.
- Launch the BusinessObjects Import Wizard by selecting Start > Programs > Business Objects XI Release 3.1 > Business Objects Enterprise > Import Wizard.
- In the welcome page of the Import Wizard, click Next.
- In the Source environment page, specify the source CMS environment for the backup and a user name and password.
The user you provide must have permissions to access the universe and reports.
- Click Next.
- In the Destination environment page, specify the file that you created in step 1 and click Next.
- In the select objects to import page, select the following repository objects and click Next:
- Import folders and objects (including all objects in that category)
- Import universes
- In the wizard page that provides a note about importing objects that have rights attached to them, click Next.
- In the Custom access level page, click Next.
- In the Folders and objects page, select the folder for the reports that you want to back up and click Next.
- In the Import options for universes and connections page, select the third option, Import the universes and connections that the selected Web Intelligence and Desktop Intelligence documents use directly and click Next.
- In the Universe folder and universes page, ensure that the universe that you want to back up is selected, and click Next.
- In the Import options for publications page, click Next.
- In the Ready to import page, click Finish.
- In the Import Progress dialog box, click View Detail Log.
- In the Detail Log dialog box, ensure that the Details box indicates that the universe was successfully copied, and click OK.
- In the Import Progress dialog box, click Done.
Where to go from here
If you upgrading BMC Analytics for BSM, you must next uninstall the earlier version of the product.