Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
The procedure in this topic describes a custom installation and includes all screens in the installation program.
To upgrade the Agent
- Ensure that you are logged on as the root user. If you choose to run the installation wizard as a non-root user, see Considerations for installing on Windows, UNIX and Linux.
Extract the installation files to a temporary directory using:
tar -xvf bpa_<component>_<version>_<operatingSystem>.tar
Ensure that the directory permissions are preserved during extraction. This avoids any folder permission related errors when you are installing from a read-only location.
- Navigate to the image subdirectory.
- Set the DISPLAY environmental variable to install the software through the GUI interface using:
- If you are upgrading remotely, export the display to your local computer using:
- Type ./setup.sh and press Enter to run the installation script.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
- Gateway Server is the selected component for installation. Click Next.
- The installation type used during the original installation is selected by default. Click Next.
- If the original installation was Typical, you are brought to the page where you can verify or modify the Gateway Server User name, and then to the final page of the wizard where you can review the information on the Installation Preview page and click Install to begin the installation.
- If the original installation was Custom, continue with the remainder of this procedure.
- Choose your desired security level. When you are finished, click Next.
- If the original security level was Basic, you can review and modify the communication settings between the Gateway Server and Perform Agents, as well as the account, collection, repository, and port options for the agents. The steps that follow describe the procedure that you must perform if this option is selected.
- If the original security level was Advanced, network communication between the Gateway Server and Perform Agents is disabled. This option brings you to the page where you can configure your migration settings, and then to the final page of the wizard. Continue with this procedure from the migrate options.
- Verify or modify the name of the user account (install owner) that will access and use the console, and then click Next.
- Verify or modify the port numbers for the service daemon, Perform Agent, and status reporting services and then click Next.
- Verify or modify the data repositories, install directory, and collect options as required. When you are finished, click Next.
- History Data Repository. The directory where the history data files are saved.
- Collect Data Repository. The directory where the collect data files are saved.
- Service Daemon Installation Directory. The directory the service daemon is installed.
- Enable collection of historical data. Collects historical data for Investigate real-time charts.
- Set Perform Agent to start automatically. Starts Perform Agent immediately upon finishing the installation procedure.
- Create Default Link. Creates a default link, */usr/adm/best1_default, to point to the installation directory.
- Maximum process command length to collect. Reflects the maximum length, in bytes, of the process command you want the agent to collect. Verify that this parameter is correct, as it might reset to the original default (2048) during upgrade.
- Configure Perform Service Daemon to run standalone. The service daemon will run in standalone mode rather than through inetd or xinedt.
- Choose your migration options for upgrade and then click Next.
- Select Migrate configuration files to migrate the configuration files located in $BEST1_HOME/local/setup, during the upgrade.
- Select Uninstall existing version to remove the current version of Perform Agent before installing the upgrade.
- Select Configure PATROL to use new version of Perform Data Collector if you have BMC PATROL installed on the computer and you want it to use the upgraded system collectors. If you select this option, you will need to enter the directory where Perform Agent is installed.
- Select Configure PATROL to use the existing version of Perform Data Collector if you have BMC PATROL installed on the computer and you do not want it to use the upgraded system collectors. For example, if you have an earlier version of PATROL that you want to continue using, you can upgrade Perform Agent only and continue to use PATROL with the earlier version collectors.
- Select Do not configure PATROL to use Perform Data Collector if you have BMC PATROL installed on the computer and you do not want to modify the existing configuration.
- Enter the path to the directory where Perform Agent is installed in PATROL Agent Home Directory if you previously selected the option, Configure PATROL to use new version of Perform Data Collector.
- Review the information on the Installation Preview page and click Install.
- You will receive notification confirming that the installation process is complete. Click View Log for details and click Done to complete the installation process.