For information about the databases supported for use with BMC Decision Support – Network Automation, see System requirements.
While setting up the three databases described in these instructions, record the database parameter values in the ETL Database Configuration row of the Installation worksheet. You will be prompted for the database parameter values during the BMC Decision Support – Network Automation installation.
This topic describes how to set up and configure Oracle databases for a BMC Decision Support – Network Automation installation.
To create the Oracle users
- On the database server, create the following three users (schemas):
- BCAN_ETL_WORK for the ETL work repository
- BCAN_ETL_MASTER for the ETL master repository
- BCAN_DWH for the data warehouse
- Ensure that users meet the following requirements:
- Users should be able to log into the database using the same SID.
- Users must have complete control of the databases. Grant the following permissions to the users you just created:
- create tables
- create views
- stored procedures
- login using the user's credentials (avoid changing the password after the product installation)
To set up the database for Oracle RAC environments
If you are using Oracle RAC, after setting up the BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) server and meeting the requirements for using Oracle RAC (see System requirements), configure the tnsnames.ora file to access the Oracle RAC database server as follows:
- Navigate to the <Oracle_Client_installation_directory>\client_1\network\admin directory.
Locate the tnsnames.ora file and open it for editing.
The file contents will look similar to the following:
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <HOST_NAME>)(PORT = 1521))
(SERVICE_NAME = <SERVICE_NAME>)
- Edit the following variables in the file:
<TNS_NAME> with the service name of your Oracle RAC database instance.
<HOST_NAME> with the Oracle RAC database server host name.
<SERVICE_NAME> with service name of the Oracle RAC database instance.
- Save and close the file.
To confirm the database server setup
Before beginning the installation, confirm that the server has enough space and that it meets the following requirements:
- The database server must be accessible from the reporting and application servers in your deployment.
- The Listener and TNS files must be configured properly to access the database from the application server through JDBC drivers.
- Ensure that the drivers used by the BusinessObjects Business Intelligence server are compatible with your database setup (see Setting up the reporting server).
- The database server must use the same time zone as the application server and the physical time of both servers should be the same (see Synchronizing server time zones).
- Ensure that there are no port conflicts.