The following figure outlines the sequence of steps to be performed to upgrade to Infrastructure Management 10.7.
Upgrade and configuration steps
BMC recommends that you do not upgrade the Integration Service nodes. Instead, install the 10.7 Integration Service nodes as new instances. You can also install on existing Integration Service hosts if there are enough resources provided (CPU, memory, disk, ports, and so on).
Upgrading the Infrastructure Management administrator console is not supported. Instead, install the 10.7 administrator console as a new instance.
The upgrade and configuration involves the following steps in the order listed:
- Install Atrium Single Sign-On and the Presentation Server, and import the Infrastructure Management PATROL repository.
See Installation process overview.
- Upgrade to TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 10.7.
- Install and configure the Infrastructure Management 10.7 Integration Service nodes. If enough hardware resources are available on existing Integration Service nodes, the 10.7 Integration Service node can be installed on the same host with the existing Integration Services. If you decide to co-host the new and older Integration Services on the same computer, note the following:
- Resource utilization requirements need to take into account the extra processes running on the host. You do not have to provide double the resources; however, you must provide more than what is required for maximum capacity for the old servers and the new services. To be safe, allocate an additional 30% over maximum so that there is headroom for all processes during the upgrade process. Be sure to account for disk space as well.
- You can install only one event management cell on a host. Additional event management cells can be created post installation using the mcrtcell CLI command. If you have an existing event management cell, you can leverage that cell with the 10.7 Integration Services, but you must plan on upgrading it to the latest version.
- Log on to the Presentation Server.
- Create silent install packages for the PATROL Agents and KMs.
- Configure and/or edit policies.
- Deploy the PATROL Agent/KM installation packages to upgrade starting with a few representative agents.
- Upgrade the PATROL Agents in batches of 50 to 100 at a time.
Pay attention to the load on the Integration Service node(s) and ensure that you are not exceeding the capacity. BMC recommends a maximum total of 900 agents per Integration Service for a large implementation.