This topic contains the best practices to be adopted when migrating to Infrastructure Management 10.7.
At a minimum, complete the following actions before attempting a migration:
- Complete a health check. Get help from BMC upgrade experts through the AMIGO program and migrate only after they confirm that the environment is ready for an upgrade. For information about the AMIGO program, see BMC Communities.
- Check the system requirements and scalability requirements and properly architect the design for the new environment.
- Ensure that you have performed all the tasks listed in Prerequisites for Infrastructure Management Server upgrade.
- If you are installing the 10.7 Integration Services on the existing Integration Service hosts, ensure that there are enough resources available and ensure that the configuration is set up to avoid conflicting ports.
Overall migration process
Migration involves installing new BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Servers version 10.7 and Integration Service hosts. The old and new environments run in parallel for some period of time until all BMC PATROL Agents are upgraded to 10.7 and all integrations with the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 10.7 are configured, tested, and fully enabled.
In a true migration, there are no differences between the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server and Integration Service versions to be concerned with the new BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server because you will be upgrading all the agents to 10.0 and pointing them to the new environment.
The migration process involves the following steps in the order listed.
- Install BMC Atrium Single Sign-On and the Presentation Server, and import the Infrastructure Management PATROL repositories. See Installation process overview.
- Installing fresh, new BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server(s) and Integration Service nodes on new hosts.
- Configuring the new 10.7 Integration Service nodes and event management cells.
- Configuring any necessary event processing in the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server(s). Do not enable event to ticket generation or any other external event propagation from the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Servers at this time.
- . This must involve developing and testing policies before putting them in production.
- Configuring forwarding of events from the new BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server to the earlier version of the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server.
Upgrade agents and KMs. The upgrade process must include pointing the agents to the new infrastructure by assigning them to the new 10.7 Integration Service nodes as the agents are upgraded. For more information, see Upgrading the Infrastructure Management components.
As PATROL Agents 10.7 are installed on new hosts, the installation package must contain the integration settings for the new 10.7 Integration Service hosts.
Maintain event propagation from the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 10.7 to the older Server until the following is complete:
- All agents have been upgraded.
- The integration(s) between the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 10.7 and external components (for example, Incident Management, Atrium CMDB, xMatters, and so on) are complete and tested.
This allows you to maintain the older event processing workflows until you are ready to enable all event management, event to ticket generation, other external event propagation, service modeling and other features with the new BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server(s).
After all the agents are upgraded and all external integrations (BMC Remedy IT Service Management, Atrium CMDB, service modeling, xMatters, and so on) are upgraded and tested, enable event management, automated ticket workflows, service modeling, and other features in Infrastructure Management 10.7. At this point, you will “go live” in Infrastructure Management 10.7. Disable these integrations in the older system(s).
Decommission the older BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server(s) and Integration Services.