After you install an Infrastructure Management server as a Central Server, use the following procedure to configure a Central Server to collect data from Child Servers.
To configure a Central Server to collect data
- On a server designated as the Central Server, open the mcell.dir file, located in the installationDirectory\pw\server\etc directory.
- At the end of the file, add a line for each Child Server with the following cell server information, then save and close the file:
- childCellName is the name of the Child Server Cell.
- cellHostName is the name of the Child Server host.
- cellPort is the cell port
cell pncell_01 mc 01_server.bmc.com:1828
- To reload the mcell.dir file with the updated information, open a command prompt and enter:
mcontrol -n centralCellName
centralCellName is the name of the Central Server Cell.
- On the Central Server, open the serverlist.xml file, located in the installationDirectory\pw\pronto\conf directory.
For each Child Server, type values under the
The information for
<hostname_or_ipaddress>are the same as those entered in step 2.
- pncell_01_server is the name of the Child Server Cell.
- 01_server.bmc.com is the name of the Child Server host.
- If you use the default server port, 80 (for HTTP), you can leave this element blank; otherwise, type the server port.
- If you use the default protocol, HTTP, you can leave this element blank; otherwise, type the server port.
- Save the serverlist.xml file.
- For device aliases that were manually added to Child Servers, manually add the device aliases to the Central Server, too, to ensure that events are associated with the appropriate devices.
In the Event View of the Central Server, click the Refresh icon (not the browser Refresh), or wait for the screen to refresh automatically.
Events from the Child Servers are displayed in the Central Server.
When an originating BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server receives events in a blackout period, the events are not propagated to the Central Server.
Infrastructure Management multiple-server deployment architecture