BMC Discovery has a simple licensing model, though with the introduction of cloud discovery and previously storage discovery, license usage has become more complicated to track and manage. BMC Discovery provides a licensing page which enables you to:
- Enable cloud discovery
- Determine the number of licensable hosts discovered
- See whether a Storage TKU is installed, and if so, which version
- See whether an Extended Data Pack is installed, and if so, which version
The system queries the datastore once each day to extract data and construct graphs of license usage for cloud resources and for hosts. Each graph provides a More Detail button which enables you to see the datastore queries used to construct that graph. You can also:
- Download a signed license report
- Download raw license data so you can process and report on license usage according to your company practices
- Upload raw license data so that you can choose a single appliance from which to perform your own licensing audit
The licensing page is shown in the screen below:
To enable or disable cloud discovery
The Cloud Resources field at the headline of the page has an Enable or Disable toggle button which enable you to enable or disable cloud discovery.
- To enable cloud discovery, click the Enable button.
The system displays a dialog requiring you to confirm that you are licensed to use cloud discovery, and that you have sufficient licenses to cover your usage.
BMC Discovery for Multi-Cloud is a separately licensed product. By enabling Cloud Discovery, you are confirming that your organization is properly licensed for a sufficient number of Cloud Resources.
- To disable cloud discovery, click the Disable button.
The system displays a confirmation dialog.
When you disable cloud discovery, no more cloud data is discovered. None of your discovered cloud data is deleted, though you must have a license which covers your past usage.
To determine the number of hosts discovered, Storage TKU and EDP status
The number of hosts discovered and the status, that is, installed or not, and if installed, which versions is displayed in the headline along with the cloud discovery control.
The following screen shows cloud discovery enabled, hosts discovered, and the installed Storage TKU and Extended Data Pack:
To download a signed licensing report
You can download a digitally signed licensing report showing the current licensing status of your appliance. To do so, select Download License Report from the Actions menu.
To download raw licensing data
You might be required to produce licensing reports for your company's records. To help you do this, you can download the raw data showing the current licensing status of your appliance.
- To download the raw data in csv format, select Download Raw License Data as CSV from the Actions menu.
- To download the raw data, select Download Raw License Data from the Actions menu.
The files are downloaded as zip archives.
To upload raw license data to another appliance
You may need to produce a consolidated report of all licensing data from multiple appliances. You can upload the raw license data files downloaded from other appliances to a single appliance from which you can download consolidated versions of the license reports and data.
To upload raw license data files:
- Select Upload Raw License Data from the Actions menu.
- From the file browser, select the downloaded zip files, and click Upload.