BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2018-Nov-1 is a deliverable for BMC Discovery 11.0, 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3 series.
Product content updates require appliance restart
This TKU release contains product content additions. When product content is added, the appliance is restarted as part of the update. You are given the opportunity to prevent the restart, though if you do so, none of the knowledge content will be installed.
CMDB Sync mapping updates
For November TKU release the following syncmapping updates were introduced:
- last_update_success attribute for the stack members Network Devices is now populated. (DRDC1-11545)
- Issue when last scan date is not synchronized for Cloud Service is fixed now. (DRUD1-24425)
- Fixed error in MF database mapping. (DRUD1-24070)
- Company name attribute is now being discovered for the Stack Switches and Access Points. (DRUD1-24198)
For more information about the CDM mapping please visit the product documentation: Default CDM Mapping.
TKU 2018-Nov-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP managed devices definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions BMC Discovery 11.0.xx, BMC Discovery 11.1.xx, BMC Discovery 11.2.xx and BMC Discovery 11.3.xx as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system.
BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack TKU 2018-Nov-1, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage System Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.3 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key does not change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node. That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
SI Key Change
|Tableau||Updated version extraction approach.||N|
|PostgreSQL RDBMS||Added bind_address and port values to DB Server name to make it more unique.||N|
|Apache Tomcat||Fixed the issue when catalina.sh script was executed for DACS application.||N|
|IBM Endpoint Manager||Introduced IBM Endpoint Manager registry versioning improvement.||N|
|Apache Subversion||Improved ApacheSubversion active versioning.||N|
|Apache Derby RDBMS||Updated Apache Derby log file versioning.||N|
|Oracle Enterprise Manager||Trigger was updated for v13 agent.||N|
|Symantec Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System|
Symantec VERITAS Storage Foundation File System
Symantec Veritas Cluster Server
Symantec VERITAS Storage Foundation
Symantec Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows
Symantec VERITAS Volume Manager
Symantec VERITAS Volume Replicator
|Added "-e" flag to Veritas Licensing commands.||N|
|BMC Digital Workplace||Introduced BMC MyIT/SmartIT package versioning enhancement.||N|
|BEA WebLogic Application Server||Added support for Oracle WebLogic JMS resources.||N|
|Sybase Replication Server||Improved Active Versioning for Sybase Replication Server.||N|
|TIBCO Adapters||Application and domain attributes are now discovered for Tibco Adapters.|
Their values are included into the SI key.
Added support for TIBCO Adapter for SAP.
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
SI Key Change
Problem: PostgreSQL extended errors if bind_address extracted from config file is "localhost".
|DRDC1-12113||Problem: Red Hat Apache HTTP server being discovered as JBoss Core Services .|
Solution: Code fix.
|Apache HTTPD-based Webservers||N|
|DRDC1-12195||Problem: Hard coded registry links in SQL Server.|
Solution: Code fix.
|Microsoft SQL Server||N|
Problem: ECA RuleError on rule tpl_Kubernetes_body_3 due to: Error while executing a rule -- KeyError: 'containerID'.