BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2018-Apr-1 is a deliverable for BMC Atrium Discovery 10.2 and BMC Discovery 11.0, 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3 series.
Please be aware that when uploading April TKU to BMC Discovery 11.2 the following warning may be displayed but doesn't require any further actions:
Product content updates require appliance restart
This TKU release contains product content additions. When product content is added, the appliance is restarted as part of the update. You are given the opportunity to prevent the restart, though if you do so, none of the knowledge content will be installed.
TKU 2018-Apr-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Atrium Discovery 10.x series
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP managed devices definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions (Atrium Discovery 10.2.xx, BMC Discovery 11.0.xx, and Atrium Discovery 11.1, BMC Discovery 11.2 and BMC Discovery 11.3) as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system
BMC Atrium Discovery Extended Data Pack, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage System Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- Atrium Discovery 10.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.3 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
|Virtual Machine Software|
|Performance Management Software|
|Y||Y||New Relic Infrastructure|
|Data Protection and Recovery Software||Unix||Y||N||Motorola AirDefense Appliance|
|Data Integration and Access Software|
|Y||Y||IBM Sterling B2B Integrator|
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key does not change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node. That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
SI Key Change
|Red Hat JBoss Application Server, RedHat JBoss Extended Discovery||Added missing config files to be discovered.||N|
|Oracle WebLogic Server||Improved versioning||N|
|Windows Network Load Balancer||Enhanced Microsoft_NLB module.||N|
|Orient Technologies Ltd OrientDB||Added support for missing DB Instances for Orient Technologies Ltd OrientDB.||N|
|Vignette Portal||Added server_type attribute and and link to the related Application Server.||N|
|Apache Tomcat||Version Discovery enhancements.||N|
|Oracle WebLogic Server||Improved bea_home discovery.||N|
|Oracle Data Integrator||Enhanced SI discovery approach.||N|
|IBM WebSphere MQ||Improved Websphere MQ Series Client versioning approach.||N|
|Microsoft Internet Information Services|
Microsoft Internet Information Services - Extended Discovery
|Added IIS 10 support.||N|
|IBM Sterling File Gateway||Updated trigger for Windows platform.||N|
|DRDC1-11005||Oracle RDBMS Installed Options||Added alternative search for Database node kind.||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
SI Key Change
Problem: ECA Error on rules tpl_DataArchitect_body_3 and tpl_DataArchitect_body_4.
Problem: MS SQL Database name validation removes names that are allowed but inadvisable
|DRDC1-11089||Problem: ECA Error on KubernetesFunctions. |
Solution: Code fix.
Red Hat OpenShift
|DRDC1-11075||Problem:11.2 does not link from VirtualMachine node to Host node.|
Solution: Code fix.
|Sun Solaris Zone Container||N|