BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2017-Mar-1 is a deliverable for BMC Atrium Discovery 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and BMC Discovery 11.0, 11.1 series.
Since October 2016 we have documented the list of "Extended Discovery" patterns here. These patterns are used for in-depth discovery and often have associated configurations which are described in the documentation. Please use the documentation to take full advantage of these Extended Discovery patterns.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) has been enhanced and is now being shipped in the modern Microsoft Excel format of .xlsx rather than the older .xls.
From TKU August 2016 onwards, it is downloadable from Configipedia only. See below at the bottom.
The command/file matrix main documentation is accessible from the Got a Problem to Solve? page or directly from here.
CMDB Sync mapping update
From TKU February 2017 and onward we now create a BMC_SystemResource for each ClusterService that has an IP address (DRUD1-19311). It is given a BMC_Dependency relationship to the associated BMC_IPEndpoint CI.
For more information about the CDM mapping please visit the product documentation: Default CDM Mapping.
TKU 2017-Mar-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Atrium Discovery 10.x series
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP Managed Device definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions (Atrium Discovery 10.0.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.1.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.2.xx, BMC Discovery 11.0.xx, and BMC Discovery 11.1) as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system
BMC Atrium Discovery Extended Data Pack, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage Systems Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- Atrium Discovery 10.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
|Clustering and Availability Software|
|Change and Configuration Management Software|
|Data Access, Analysis, and Delivery Software|
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key does not change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node. That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
SI Key Change
|IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Application Diagnostics||Regex in IBM.Tivoli.CompositeApplicationManager.WebsphereJ2EE.DataCollector pattern is updated||N|
|Oracle Forms software instance is now detected when the Application Server is defined as "SoftwareCluster"||N|
|Supporting files updated to better model relationship between WebLogicServer and JDBC/JoltServer that is on Virtual Host||N|
|Software AG webMethods Integration Server||SoftwareAG.IntegrationServer.IntegrationServer pattern updated||N|
|Quest Foglight||Added support for Software instances of Quest Foglight which have version higher than 5.6.10||N|
|EMC VPlex startpar process||VPLEX scanning updated||N|
PostgreSQL RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern
|Several updates to support EDB Postgres Advanced Server and EDB PostgresSQL||N|
|Apache Hadoop||Apache Hadoop now uses SearchFunctions module||N|
|DRDC1-8423||Simple identities for generic commands are updated||N|
|DRDC1-7562||Microsoft .NET||Registry information is now used to determine the number of .Net versions installed||N|
|DRDC1-7253||Oracle MySQL Server||MySQL now uses the registry versioning method in preference to path versioning||N|
|DRDC1-8198||IBM Netezza Analytics||Simple identity updated||N|
|IBM DB2 RDBMS|
IBM Tivoli Application Dependency Discovery Manager
IBM PowerHA SystemMirror
IBM WebSphere Application Server
Patterns updated to be cluster aware when running on AIX HACMP switch
|DRUD1-19924||Microsoft Hyper-V Server||VM UUID now used as key opposed to instance ID||Y|
|BMC Discovery||Package versioning updated||N|
|DRUD1-19906||Red Hat KVM||vm_type is now set in KVM Pattern||N|
|DRDC1-8320||CA APM Introscope||Visualization changes: low facet_priority is now set for CA Wily Introscope Agent.||N|
|DRDC1-8085||SAP Business Suite||SAP Hana now links SAP HANA Database Software Instance into the 2nd Order SAP Suite Software Instance||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
Problem: "Not finding Database Detail for Oracle RAC"
Problem: "Supplied endpoint for SQL credential group named Microsoft SQL Server is none"
Problem: "Unable to fetch BMC Control-M agent version on linux boxes"
|DRDC1-8203||Problem: "HyperV pattern tries to run UUID WMI Query if host is running Linux" |
Solution: Code fix.
|Microsoft Hyper-V Server|
|DRDC1-8233||Problem: "Pattern sets full version instead of product version" |
Solution: Code fix.
|CA Software Change Manager|
Fujitsu Interstage Application Server
HP Command View EVA
New Relic APM
|DRDC1-8419||Problem: "Processes may not be correctly linked" |
Solution: Code fix.
|BMC BladeLogic Database Automation|
BMC TrueSight Middleware and Transaction Monitor
Microsoft Internet Information Services
Oracle VM Server for SPARC
Symantec VERITAS Storage Foundation File System
|DRUD1-19959||Problem: "KVM pattern does not link hosts to VMs in some cases" |
Solution: Code fix.
|Red Hat KVM|
|DRDC1-8327||Problem: "Possible relationship issue between "HP Integrity Virtual Machine" with the hostContainer when VM is moving to an other host" |
Solution: Code fix.
|HP Integrity Virtual Machines|
|DRDC1-8230||Problem: "Internal version may be reported in correctly for SQL Server if WMI versioning is used" |
Solution: Partial code fix.
|Microsoft SQL Server|