BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2017-Jun-1 is a deliverable for BMC Atrium Discovery 10.1, 10.2 and BMC Discovery 11.0, 11.1 series.
Since October 2016 we have documented the list of "Extended Discovery" patterns here. These patterns are used for in-depth discovery and often have associated configurations which are described in the documentation. Please use the documentation to take full advantage of these Extended Discovery patterns.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) has been enhanced and is now being shipped in the modern Microsoft Excel format of .xlsx rather than the older .xls.
From TKU August 2016 onwards, it is downloadable from Configipedia only. See below at the bottom.
The command/file matrix main documentation is accessible from the Got a Problem to Solve? page or directly from here.
CMDB Sync mapping update
From TKU June 2017 and onward LoadBalancerInstance can be related to SoftwareInstance in addition to NetworkDevice. That will be used in conjunction with the TKU pattern for HA Proxy(software load balancer), which is expected to be released soon(TKU August or TKU September). For more information about the CDM mapping please visit the product documentation: Default CDM Mapping.
TKU 2017-Jun-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Atrium Discovery 10.x series
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP Managed Device definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions (Atrium Discovery 10.1.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.2.xx, BMC Discovery 11.0.xx, and BMC Discovery 11.1) as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system
BMC Atrium Discovery Extended Data Pack, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage Systems Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- Atrium Discovery 10.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
|End-User Query, Reporting, and Analysis|
|Clustering and Availability Software|
|Event Management Tools|
|Automated Software Quality Tools|
|Edge||Edge enPortal||Enterprise Portals||Unix||Y||N||Edge enPortal|
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key does not change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node. That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
Updated Cluster management code
|Software Performing Clustering||N|
|DRDC1-6974||Red Hat Global File System||Updated Cluster management code||Software Performing Clustering||N|
|Oracle Clusterware||Updated Cluster management code||Clustering Platform||N|
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
SI Key Change
|Redis||Added active versioning approach and updated configuration file extraction (for Windows platforms)||N|
|BMC Remedy AR System||Fixed the issue with MidTier modelling||N|
|Processor Information||Added support for processor_type POWER8E (raw)||N|
|Apache Kafka||Added support for Apache Kafka for Windows||Y|
|DRDC1-8860||BMC Performance Manager||Fixed DB ageing issue||N|
|DRDC1-8865||Microsoft SQL Server||Cluster linking issue is fixed||N|
|DRDC1-8849||SAP Business Suite||Updated SAP Bussiness Suite model||N|
|DRDC1-8841||CA APM Introscope||Updated versioning methods||N|
|DRDC1-9103||Oracle MySQL Server||Enhanced process arguments extraction||N|
|DRDC1-9126||HP ServiceGuard||Number of enhancements for 'cmviewcl' command execution||N|
|Microsoft Hyper-V Server||Fixed the issue with modelling MS virtual machine in MS Cluster||N|
|DRDC1-8489||Oracle RDBMS Installed Options||Pattern OracleRDBMS_Options should now use the options_packs_usage_Statistics.sql||N|
|DRDC1-8844||Oracle Automatic Storage Management|
|Fixed global_db_name attribute issue. Updated links between Oracle and Listener instances running on Clusters||N|
|DRDC1-8824||Software AG webMethods Integration Server||Updated approach of handling wm_home with wildcards||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
Problem: WebSphere MQ pattern command updates cause not needed PRIV_RUN executionon
|106065||Problem: IBM WAS Pattern causing ECA Engine Errors |
Solution: Code fix.
|IBM WebSphere Application Server Web Server Plug-in|
|DRDC1-9101||Problem: BMC_Product named "None for Skype Business" when synced to the CMDB|
Solution: Code fix.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU June 2017 can be downloaded from here.