BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2017-Jul-1 is a deliverable for BMC Atrium Discovery 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and BMC Discovery 11.0, 11.1 series.
Since October 2016 we have documented the list of "Extended Discovery" patterns here. These patterns are used for in-depth discovery and often have associated configurations which are described in the documentation. Please use the documentation to take full advantage of these Extended Discovery patterns.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) has been enhanced and is now being shipped in the modern Microsoft Excel format of .xlsx rather than the older .xls.
From TKU August 2016 onwards, it is downloadable from Configipedia only. See below at the bottom.
The command/file matrix main documentation is accessible from the Got a Problem to Solve? page or directly from here.
TKU 2017-Jul-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Atrium Discovery 10.x series
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP Managed Device definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions (Atrium Discovery 10.0.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.1.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.2.xx, BMC Discovery 11.0.xx, and BMC Discovery 11.1) as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system
BMC Atrium Discovery Extended Data Pack, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage Systems Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- Atrium Discovery 10.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
|Security and Vulnerability Management Software|
|Secure Content and Threat Management|
|Advanced Analytics Software|
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key does not change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node. That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
SI Key Change
|Memcached||Added Windows OS support.||N|
|Software AG webMethods Integration Server|
Updated SoftwareAG package count method.
|Apache HTTPD-based Webservers|
Apache HTTPD-based Webservers - Extended Discovery Pattern
|Discovery of Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Web Server was added to the ApacheBasedWebserver pattern.||Y|
|VMware Virtual Machine software||Added support for VMware Esxi Vm's on Nutanix environment.||N|
|RedHat JBoss Extended Discovery||Updated configuration file path extraction.||N|
|Oracle RDBMS||Fixed the issue with connection to databases.||N|
|BMC Remedy AR System||Fixed smart reporting issue on Linux systems and old versions.||N|
|DRDC1-9034||Oracle Engineered Systems||Fixed the issue with discovery of Private Cloud Appliance (PCA).||N|
|DRDC1-9171||Sun Java System Directory Server||Fixed the issue with running ns-slapd command.||N|
|DRDC1-9193||Trend Micro Smart Protection Server||Fix Incorrect tree path for TrendMicro.SmartProtectionServer.||N|
|DRDC1-8543||Software AG My webMethods Server||Enhancement implemented for Software AG My webMethods Server.||N|
|Sun Java System Directory Server||Updated versioning methods.||N|
|DRDC1-9163||Sun Java System Directory Server||Updated egrep command execution on Solaris.||N|
|DRDC1-9091||RedHat JBoss Extended Discovery||Fixed the issue in discovering deployed applications by Redhat JBoss Extended Discovery.||N|
|DRDC1-8382||Red Hat KVM||Updated regex to extract VM name.||N|
|DRDC1-9013||IBM IMM||Now pattern creates links between IBM IMM and Hosts.||N|
|DRDC1-9220||Sun Solaris Zone Container||Added support for solaris kernel zones.||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
Problem: JIRA software is not discovered properly.
Problem: ZoneConsolidateFromSI pattern needs to be updated to fix the issue with hostname only matching.
Problem: IBM Sterling Secure Proxy Configuration Manager Triggers on incorrect Process.
Problem: Kafka pattern triggers on all java processes.
Problem: Apache Mesos Agent TPL throwing ECA Error.
Problem: Same Oracle databases are shown as server and client and checking provenance gives an error.
|DRDC1-9319||Problem: Einstein software causes BMC Remedy AR System Server SI to be created.|
Solution: Code fix.
|BMC Remedy AR System|
|DRDC1-9206||Problem: SYNC-Error Cross-reference CI BMC_SoftwareServer with key ..... was not resolved.|
Solution: Code fix.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU July 2017 can be downloaded from.