BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2017-Apr-2 is a deliverable for BMC Atrium Discovery 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and BMC Discovery 11.0, 11.1 series.
TKU 2017-Apr-2 is a re-release of Technology Knowledge Update April 2017 which fixes two major Network Device and TKU issues: "Fujitsu.os classifier changes broke the Discovery platform page" (DRDC1-8723) and the "ECA Error in the Apache JMeter pattern" (DRDC1-8718). Those issues were identified in the original TKU for April 2017 release.
If you have already installed the original version of the Technology Knowledge Update for April 2017, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade your TKU to this re-release and then remove the previous version from the appliance.
Since October 2016 we have documented the list of "Extended Discovery" patterns here. These patterns are used for in-depth discovery and often have associated configurations which are described in the documentation. Please use the documentation to take full advantage of these Extended Discovery patterns.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) has been enhanced and is now being shipped in the modern Microsoft Excel format of .xlsx rather than the older .xls.
From TKU August 2016 onwards, it is downloadable from Configipedia only. See below at the bottom.
The command/file matrix main documentation is accessible from the Got a Problem to Solve? page or directly from here.
CMDB Sync mapping update
From TKU February 2017 and onward we now create a BMC_SystemResource for each ClusterService that has an IP address (DRUD1-19311). It is given a BMC_Dependency relationship to the associated BMC_IPEndpoint CI. For more information about the CDM mapping please visit the product documentation: Default CDM Mapping.
TKU 2017-Apr-2 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Atrium Discovery 10.x series
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP Managed Device definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions (Atrium Discovery 10.0.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.1.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.2.xx, BMC Discovery 11.0.xx, and BMC Discovery 11.1) as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system
BMC Atrium Discovery Extended Data Pack, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage Systems Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- Atrium Discovery 10.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
|Other Integration and Process Automation Middleware|
|Change and Configuration Management Software|
|Nonrelational Database Management Systems|
|Data Access, Analysis, and Delivery Software|
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key does not change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node. That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
Updated Cluster naming
|DRDC1-1297||Updated Cluster naming||Clustered Software||N|
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
SI Key Change
|Processor Information||Fix duplicated priviledged commands execution in CPU Info patterns||N|
|IBM BladeCenter||Fixed typo in the IBM_BladeCenter pattern||N|
|Oracle Application Server||Updated key for Oracle Application Server OC4J Instance by adding instance_id attribute to the key to make it more unique||Y|
|Functions updated. Added check for illegal symbols||N|
|DRDC1-8443||Hortonworks Data Platform||Fixed the issue with duplicate Aggregate SI||N|
|DRDC1-8193||Microsoft SQL Server - Database Detail Pattern||Better search query to discover SQL Server AlwaysOn groups added||N|
|DRDC1-8545||PostgreSQL RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern||Fixed the issue with ECA Error PostgreSQL_Extended.PostgreDatabasesAndTables||N|
|Java Virtual Machine||Fixed the issue which caused sporadic ECA errors||N|
|Microsoft SQL Server||Fixed the issue with versioning levels||N|
|DRDC1-8496||IBM PowerHA SystemMirror||Fixed the issue which caused ECA error||N|
|DRDC1-8580||Microsoft SQL Server - Database Detail Pattern||SQL Server DBDetails now have the same type regardless of provenance||Y|
|DRDC1-8478||Microsoft Internet Information Services||Handling the cases when IIS 7 has an inetinfo.exe process||N|
|DRDC1-8337||BMC Remedy AR System, |
Oracle RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern
|Fixed the issue with sql query run||N|
|Apache Tomcat||Enhance Apache Tomcat pattern module||N|
|Oracle Business Transaction Management, |
Oracle Enterprise Repository
|Patterns now model SIs if parent SoftwareComponents are running on Application Server Clusters||N|
|DRDC1-8192||IBM WebSphere Extended Deployment||Enhancement for IBM WebSphere Virtual Enterprise Software Instances of v8.5||N|
DRDC1-8508, DRDC1-8499, DRDC1-8337, DRDC1-7353, DRDC1-8016
|Oracle RDBMS||Added cluster support for Listener; Fixed unhandled kinds from getHostingNodes passed to SQL DIP queries; Fixed problem with Oracle Cluster discovery / sync between Consolidator and Scanner; Now specifies compatibility level for Oracle; Added ordering for listen_sockets list;||N|
|Oracle Directory Server,|
Red Hat Directory Server,
Sun Java System Directory Server
|Fixed misleading identification of Sun ONE / Sun Java System Directory Server||Y|
|DRDC1-8718||Apache JMeter||ECA Error fix : added reg-ex group for port extraction; added option /B to findstr to avoid finding commented strings in properties file; added negative matching using grep to avoid finding commented strings in properties file.||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
Problem: Appliance doesn't show Processor Information for Open Unix 8.0.0 OS Type
Problem: Docker command with error message creates Result node in database
Problem: Missing DB2 database details
Problem: RedHat Directory Server SI is Discovered as Sun ONE Directory Server
Problem: SI type may be incorrectly assigned for version 10.2
Problem: Stop statement in ParsingJ2EE.createComponent causes ECA error
Solution: Code fix.
Symphony EYC GAIA Application Server
Problem: quote problem in IBM WebSphere MQ pattern (error AMQ8405 on windows)
Solution: Code fix.
Problem: Discovery does not always discover the full version of Sybase ASE and Sybase backup server
Problem: Oracle Data Guard Discovery 10.1 -vs- 11.1, missing Full Version in 11.1