BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2016-Sep-1 is a deliverable for BMC Atrium Discovery 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and BMC Discovery 11.0 series.
From version 11.0, BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping has been renamed BMC Discovery. Also, If you are running BMC Discovery version 11.0 you must upgrade to 188.8.131.52 (patch 1) to use TKU April 2016 and subsequent releases.
Starting from TKU July 2016 release the Extended Data Pack comes with a new feature! BMC Discovery now automatically links to National Vulnerability Database. This is available only for users who have a license for the Extended Data Pack. Please see here the details of the new feature.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) has been enhanced and is now being shipped in the modern Microsoft Excel format of .xlsx rather than the older .xls.
From TKU August 2016 onwards, it can be downloaded from Configipedia. See below.
The main command/file matrix documentation is accessible from the Got a Problem to Solve? page or directly from here.
TKU 2016-Sep-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Atrium Discovery 10.x series
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP Managed Device definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions (Atrium Discovery 10.0.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.1.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.2.xx and BMC Discovery 11.0.xx) as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system
BMC Atrium Discovery Extended Data Pack, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database – A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage Systems Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- Atrium Discovery 10.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
Data Access, Analysis, and Delivery Software
|TIBCO||TIBCO iProcess||Process Automation Middleware||Unix, Windows||Y||Y||TIBCO iProcess|
|IBM||IBM InfoSphere Big Match for Hadoop||Advanced Analytics Software||Unix||Y||Y||IBM InfoSphere Big Match for Hadoop|
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key doesn’t change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node .That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
(For details of why the SI key change is important, see this documentation)
|Clustering Model||Key Change|
|DRDC1-4733||Citrix XenApp||For BMC Discovery 11.x ‘Citrix Server Farm’ Cluster is modelled||Virtualization Cluster||N|
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI key change is important, see this documentation
SI Key Change
|DRDC1-6993||Fixed version extraction for Client SI||N|
|DRDC1-6649||Oracle Clusterware||Added new cluster resources||N|
|DRDC1-6574||Microsoft Lync||Added support for Skype for Business Server 2015 servers||N|
|DRDC1-6793||Software AG webMethods Integration Server||Fixed version extraction for Software AG webMethods Integration Server 9.8||N|
Added CPU information attribute, implemented various pattern enhancements.
NOTE: SI key was changed for TIBCO Rendezvous pattern!
|DRDC1-6875||CA APM Introscope||Fixed version extraction||N|
|DRDC1-6776||Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager||Added support for Microsoft Azure Active Directory Connect product||Y|
|DRDC1-6956||Sybase Adaptive Server IQ||Added support for the latest version of Sybase IQ pattern (v16)||N|
|Nubmer of enhancements for BMC Remedy Migrator||N|
|DRDC1-6973||Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise||Fixed the endpoint relsolving issue||N|
|DRDC1-6945||Kubernetes||Pattern now uses new SearchFunctions||N|
|TIBCO Hawk Agent|
A number of pattern enhancements were implemented.
NOTE: SI key was changed!
|DRDC1-6939||BMC CONTROL-M||Added suppress_comms to AgentListener||N|
|DRDC1-6876||Symantec Critical System Protection||Fixed CMDB mapping issue||N|
|DRDC1-6708||Updated host modelling for Discovery 11.x||N|
|DRDC1-6073||Implemented new Common Functions design||N|
|DRDC1-5275||Oracle NoSQL Database||Added support for the latest versions||N|
|DRDC1-6283||PostgreSQL RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern||Number of pattern enhancements implemented||N|
|093482||Oracle VM Server for SPARC||Removed host partition/ldom_name/ldom_role attributes if host is not confirmed as LDOM partition||N|
|094167||Sterling Commerce Connect Direct||Updated WMI versioning||N|
Number of pattern enhancements implemented.
NOTE: SI key was changed for RepositoryServer and JoltServer !
|DRDC1-6890||Sybase ASE Dataserver - Database Detail Pattern||Fixed Sybase log file issue||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
Problem:Oracle WebLogic Cluster should create specific key for different messaging modes
Problem: Kubernetes incorrectly checks for get pod command failure leading to ECAError
Problem: Syntax error in IBM DB2 pattern
|093353||Problem: Oracle Database SIs are not hosted by Cluster|
Solution: Code fix.
|Oracle RDBMSOracle RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern|
|DRDC1-6769||Problem: Symantec Veritas Cluster Server does not parse output of hasys -list correctly|
Solution: Code fix.
|Symantec VERITAS Cluster Server|
|DRDC1-6783||Problem: Syntax error when running egrep command in Sybase extended discovery|
Solution: Code fix.
|Sybase ASE Dataserver - Database Detail Pattern|
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU September 2016 can be downloaded from.