BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2016-Oct-1 is a deliverable for BMC Atrium Discovery 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and BMC Discovery 11.0 series.
From version 11.0, BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping has been renamed BMC Discovery. Also, If you are running BMC Discovery version 11.0 you must upgrade to 220.127.116.11 (patch 1) to use TKU April 2016 and subsequent releases.
Starting from TKU July 2016 release the Extended Data Pack comes with a new feature! BMC Discovery now automatically links to National Vulnerability Database. This is available only for users who have a license for the Extended Data Pack. Please see here the details of the new feature.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) has been enhanced and is now being shipped in the modern Microsoft Excel format of .xlsx rather than the older .xls.
From TKU August 2016 onwards, it can be downloaded from Configipedia. See below.
The main command/file matrix documentation is accessible from the Got a Problem to Solve? page or directly from here.
TKU 2016-Oct-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Atrium Discovery 10.x series
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.x series
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this demo if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP Managed Device definition files
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions (Atrium Discovery 10.0.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.1.xx, Atrium Discovery 10.2.xx and BMC Discovery 11.0.xx) as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system
BMC Atrium Discovery Extended Data Pack, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database – A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage Systems Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
- Atrium Discovery 10.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.1 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- Atrium Discovery 10.2 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
- BMC Discovery 11.0 series - Installation and upgrade instructions are provided here
Advanced Analytics Software
|LexisNexis Risk Solutions||LexisNexis Risk Solutions HPCC Systems||Clustering and Availability Software||Unix||Y||Y||LexisNexis Risk Solutions HPCC Systems|
|EMC||EMC Unisphere||Storage and Device Management Software||Windows, Unix||Y||Y||EMC Unisphere|
Enhanced Pattern Modules for Cluster Awareness in BMC Discovery 11.x series
BMC Discovery 11.0.x introduces a new extended cluster discovery.
Cluster Modeling approaches and Key changes:
- Clustering Platform that generate a Cluster Node. In most cases the Key doesn’t change.
- Clustered Software. In previous releases, the SIs were modeled running on Host nodes. Now, if they are running on a cluster, they are modeled running on the Cluster node .That means that instances of these products that run on clusters have changed Keys. Instances that do not run on clusters do not have changed Keys.
- Software Performing Clustering - products that implement their own Clustering Scheme without using a Clustering Platform. In general, the SoftwareCluster is given the same Key that was previously given to the SoftwareInstance.
More about new clustering technologies and clustering models you may find here.
(For details of why SI key change is important, see this documentation)
|Clustering Model||Key Change|
|DRDC1-4733||LexisNexis Risk Solutions HPCC Systems||A SoftwareCluster node of type 'High Performance Computing Cluster' may be created in BMC Discovery 11.x.||Software Performing Clustering||N|
|DRDC1-5415||HP Integrity VM SIs now moved to cluster node if associated VM clustered using HP ServiceGuard||Clustering Platform||Y|
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why SI key change is important, see this documentation
SI Key Change
|DRDC1-7169||Fixed Oracle WebLogic version mapping for 12.2.1||N|
|DRDC1-6280||Added link between Oracle VM Manager and VM Servers, added support for Clustered environments||N|
|DRDC1-7111||OpenLDAP||Pattern updated to avoid duplicate listening ports||N|
|DRUD1-18729||Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports||Added new relations||N|
|DRDC1-7088||Oracle WebLogic Server||Updated the SupportingTables.tplpre pattern||N|
|DRDC1-7158||IBM WebSphere Transformation Extender||Added an alternative command for active versioning method||N|
|Updated short name attribute for Software Components||N|
|DRDC1-7068||BMC Discovery||Updated the BMC Discovery / TidewayFoundation pattern for v11.1||N|
|DRDC1-6952||Microsoft .NET||Added support for .NET running on servers that was installed as a Windows Feature||N|
|DRDC1-5331||Informatica Vibe Data Stream||Pattern updated to use new Search functions||N|
|DRDC1-6656||TIBCO Adapters||Additional Adapters are added||N|
|DRDC1-6476||Apache HTTPD-based Webservers - Extended Discovery Pattern||Number of pattern updates implemented||N|
|DRDC1-7194||IBM InfoSphere Metadata Workbench||Fixed the issue with extra SIs||N|
|DRDC1-7154||Oracle Clusterware||Fixed the issue with Cluster Resources modelling||N|
|DRDC1-6631||TIBCO Rendezvous||Fixed the search for the local TibcoHomeProcs() function||N|
|DRDC1-7044||BMC Atrium CMDB||Fixed the issue with the wrong plugin check||N|
|095697||Red Hat KVM||Fixed relations issue||N|
|DRDC1-7000||Microsoft SQL Server||Updated Server pattern to make port search more accurate||N|
|DRDC1-6381||Microsoft SQL Server||Fixed the issue when SQL Server instances don't link to the Cluster.||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
Problem: JBoss Host Controller related to itself
Problem: WebLogic Collection Node management does not handle change well
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU October 2016 can be downloaded from.