The product leverages the EMC SMI-S Provider for CLARiiON and Symmetrix systems that needs to be installed on a Windows or Linux system. The following procedure explains in details how to get, install and configure EMC SMI-S Provider to efficiently interact with it.
Install the EMC SMI-S Provider
- Access the EMC’s Online Support website: http://support.emc.com.
- Log in with the User ID and Password provided by EMC’s Online Support. If you do not have an account, you can register directly on EMC’s Online Support website.
- Click Downloads.
- Type SMI-S Provider and click Enter.
- Download the SMI-S Provider executable file. It is recommended to download the latest version of the x64 package available for your operating system.
- Launch the executable file.
- Select the items required by EMC Solutions Enabler with SMI and click Install.
- The EMC Solutions Enabler with SMI X64 welcome page appears. Click Next to begin the installation.
- Select an install directory for EMC Solutions Enabler and click Next to continue. Please note that it is recommended that you choose the default directory.
- Select both Array Provider and Host Provider and click Next to continue.
- In the Service List dialog box, click Next.
- Click Install to begin installing files to your selected folder.
- When the Installation Wizard Complete dialog box opens, click Finish to complete the setup.
- When the installation procedure is complete, update your environment variable for path to include the EMCSolutions Enabler installation directory, which by default is C:\Program Files\EMC\SYMCLI\bin, in order to run the command line utilities from any directory.
Add CLARiiON/VNX Disk Array to the Installed SMI-S Provider
- Navigate to the C:\Program Files\EMC\SYMCLI\storbin and run TestSmiProvider.exe.
- For connection type, type ssl.
- For Host, type enter.
- Repeat the operation for Port, Username, Password, Log output to console, Log output to file, and Logfile path:
- Type addsys.
- type y (yes)
- type 1 (Default for CLARiiON/VNX)
- type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (SPA IP Address of the CLARiiON/VNX array)
- type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (SPB IP Address of the CLARiiON/VNX Array)
- type 2
- type 2
- type the username (type a user that has at least a read access on the CLARiiON/VNX Array)
- type the password (password of the above user)
- then type enter
Add a User to the SMI-S Provider
- Access https://<ip-host>:5989/ecomconfig, where <ip-host> is either the IP address of the name of the SMI-S Provider host.
- Log in using the username admin and #1Password as password.
- Click Add User and create a user with the role of Administrator. This newly created username can now be used to obtain access to the Array Provider.
Add Authorization Information
- Shut down the EMC CIM Server (The service name is ECOM.exe and it displays as ECOM in the Services control panel.).
- Use the SYMCLI symcfg command, as shown in the following syntax example, to add the username and password for each CLARiiON storage processor: >symcfg authorization add -host HostName -username UserName -password PassWord.
- Add authorization for CLARiiON storage processor A with IP address <ip1>, username clariion and password clarpass, using the following command: symcfg auth add -host 172.23.193.86 -username clariion -password clarpass.
- Then, repeat the operation with CLARiiON storage processor B.
You must list the information for storage processor A first, then storage processor B. Any time a locally-attached CLARiiON is added to the EMC SMI-S Provider, the EMC CIM Server must first be shut down. Once shut down, the authorization information can be added as described previously and the EMC CIM Server must be restarted.
- Start EMC CIM Server.