Hitachi VSP G-Series storage systems are discovered via the embedded Hitachi Gx00/G1000 SMI-S Provider. For the G-Series, the SMI-S provider is always installed on the array (on the SVP Windows Host).
As part of routine discovery, when the Hitachi Gx00/G1000 embedded SMI-S Provider is encountered, the storage device is automatically created in the ADDM environment. The SMI-S Provider is interrogated to discover any storage entities that it is managing. Once discovered, the storage entities are modeled in BMC Atrium Discovery.
The Hitachi VSP G-Series Storage Systems pattern does not discover G-Series storage systems via the external HiCommand SMI-S provider as it does not provide sufficient information. Consequently, the Hitachi G-Series storage systems can only be discovered via the embedded SMI-S Provider. See the Prerequisites section below
A - Start and configure the embedded Hitachi SMI-S Provider:
Connect to the Gx000 Windows SVP-Host.
- Click Start > All Programs > Hitachi Device Manager - Storage Navigator > StorageDeviceList.
- Click Start Service.
- Run the netstat -ano|findstr 5989 command to verify that a process is actually listening on port 5989.
B - Create a user with a “storage administrator View-only” role
- Log on to the Hitachi Device Manager - Storage Navigator console.
- In the left pane, click Administration > Storage Administrator (View Only) User Group.
- In the right pane, select the Users tab and click Create User.
- Enter the required information and click Finish.
C - Configure User credentials for the Hitachi Gx00/G1000 Embedded SMI-S Provider.
- The credentials should be entered as WBEM credentials for the management server’s address in BMC Discovery. Please refer the Configuring WBEM credentials Discovery page for details.
D - Configure the network access on a WBEM port from the ADDM server to the storage system.
- Port 5989 is used by default.
- All Hitachi VSP G-Series models.
Discovered Storage Information
Vendor Specific Information
No known vendor specific information.
- Hitachi VSP G Series Storage Systems are not supported in version older than version 11.
- The Consumed Capacity parameter for Storage Pools is not always accurate. A fix for G1000 is available (SVOS 6.4.1) and must be properly installed. Contact your Hitachi representative for further information.
- The Disk Drive Speed parameter is not currently reported.
- The Operation Status parameter is always set to OK even if the disk is in an Error state.
- The enumerate instances for HITACHI_SCSIPCForFCPort WBEM class do not function. A workaround has been provided for ADDM 11. However, with ADDM versions prior to version 11 the Volume/FC Ports relationship is missing.
- The enumerate instances for CIM_AllocatedFromStoragePool may return the following exception:
[ Error Code = 1, CIM_ERR_FAILED, java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ReturnItems called for find operation, but found 2 matches!.
Restart the Embedded SMI-S to resolve the problem.