The disk configuration utility enables you to move BMC Atrium Discovery data onto and create swap space on new disks on your appliance. However, the following restrictions apply:
- You can only move data or create swap space on disks that are not currently used by BMC Atrium Discovery.
- You cannot move more than one component of BMC Atrium Discovery data to a given target disk.
- You cannot move back the components to the system disk after they have moved to a secondary disk.
Back up your data before changing disk configurations
The disk management utility performs disk operations such as partitioning and moving data. All data on the new disks is deleted. When data is moved from the system disk, it is copied to the new disk and deleted from the system disk. Before using it you should always back up your appliance.
LVM is not supported
If you try to add an LVM disk, the operation fails and the following message is displayed:
Unexpected system configuration: LVM-based configuration detected
The following disk types are defined:
The disk on which BMC Atrium Discovery is installed.
Any additional disk which contains BMC Atrium Discovery data.
Any additional disk with no mounted partitions. There must be 4000 MB free space on the disk after the copy operation or the operation is not permitted. If you are only creating swap space, the disk must be larger than the suggested swap size.
Non ADDM Disk
Any additional disk with mounted partitions. These partitions must be unmounted before this disk can be configured using the disk management utility.
The Disk Configuration page has a panel at the top which shows any pending operations, and a panel which shows the current configuration of any disks in the appliance and the suggested configuration of any new disks. A comprehensive key to the data types and their representation is also provided.
On any new disk, a Change Usage drop down list is displayed which is populated with the data partitions on the system disk. Where there is insufficient space on the new disk to copy the data from a particular partition, that partition's label is disabled. The label is also disabled if the partition has already been selected to have its data moved to another disk.
You can also choose to add a swap partition to the disk by selecting the check box. The check box is only displayed if you have insufficient swap space configured. The disk configuration utility uses the following calculation to determine the best swap size.
- Where the amount of memory is less than 16 GB, swap size is set at double the memory size.
- Where the amount of memory is between 16 and 32 GB, swap size is set at 32 GB.
- Where the amount of memory exceeds 32 GB, swap size is set to equal the memory.
The add swap check box is not displayed if the available new disk does not have enough space to store the additional swap to reach the optimal swap size. For example, if the system has 8GB swap by default, and the optimal swap size is 24GB, then 16GB additional swap is required. If the new disk has only 12GB available, the check box is not displayed.
When you make the changes you have chosen or to accept the changes suggested by the system, the services are shut down and a progress indicator is displayed.
To move data to a new disk
- Backup your appliance.
- From the Appliance section of the Administration tab, click Disk Configuration.
The Disk Configuration page is displayed.
- If the suggested configuration is what you want, continue this procedure from Review the pending changes list step.
- If you do not want to accept the suggested configuration, select Do not move any data here from Change Usage.
- Select the data to move to the new disk from Change Usage. If the disk is of the type "Non ADDM Disk" then you must unmount all partitions on the disk before proceeding.
- Select the Add swap check box if you want to add additional swap space.
- Review the pending changes list.
If it is what you want, click Apply changes.
- You are requested for confirmation. The BMC Atrium Discovery Services are stopped and all of the contents of the new disks is deleted before moving data or creating swap partitions. Click OK to proceed.
- The status page is displayed which shows a progress indicator and details of the individual operations.
Once the operation has been completed, the services are started and the login page is displayed.
If the only operation you perform is to add swap to a new disk, the services are not stopped and started and you do not need to login.
When data is moved from an additional disk that contains only a data partition, at the end of processing, the disk is identified as an "New Disk" and is displayed with a suggested configuration. The existing data is not deleted, though the partition is not mounted.
When data is moved from an additional disk that contains a data partition and a swap partition, at the end of processing, the disk is identified as an "Non ADDM Disk". The existing data is not deleted, though the partition is not mounted. To reuse this disk, disable the swap partition as shown here.