Technology Knowledge Update TKU 2023-Oct-2
In the September TKU, we enhanced encryption, which broke the scenario of the BMC Discovery Outpost connected to two services. To fix this issue, we implemented the TKU October-2 release.
BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2023-Oct-2 provides information about new scanning capabilities in the 20.08, 21.05, 21.3, 22.1, 22.2, 23.1, and 23.3 versions of BMC Discovery.
In this release, we are delivering:
- AWS: Improved the Name of CloudRegion and CloudProvider nodes to be more descriptive
- Added a pattern for the synchronization of EOL dates to the CMDB. Note that this requires the CMDB to be extended to support the following new attributes:
EndOfSupport. For more details, see (DRDC1-21798) and the documentation and .
- Enhanced the CMDB synchronization between IP Address and Network Interface. For more details, see (
- Improved the discovery of the vSAN storage system model in CMDB. For more details, see (DRDC1-21827) and the documentation here.
- Added support for Stack Switches for Huawei devices. For more details, see (DRDC1-20135) and the documentation here.
- Added support for the discovery of Dell EMC SC Series through REST API. For more details, see (DRDC1-20997) and the documentation here.
- Added mac_addrs attribute to VMware VMs. For more details, see (DRDC1-21703).
Latest releases updates
You can find information about the latest TKU updates and essential notes in the Schedule and Roadmap.
- TLS Certificate checking: BMC Discovery and the BMC Discovery Outpost check the TLS certificate against GCP. You can clear the check box to disable the TLS certificate and check if the certificate is invalid. In such a case, be aware that a hacker attack could intercept your credentials.
TKU 2023-Oct-2 is compatible with the following versions of BMC Discovery: 20.08, 21.05, 21.3, 22.1, 22.2, 23.1, and 23.3.
Customers can access this TKU release from the . If you are a customer or partner without a login, contact your BMC account manager.
Learn how to download from the BMC EPD site from this guideline.
The release comprises components packaged as the following entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update
- Core - Patterns that model various software products.
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases.
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers.
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files, and SNMP managed devices definition files.
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions , , , , , , as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system.
- BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack 2023-Oct-2
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populates BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product.
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of specific host Operating Systems and interpretations of certain software products.
- BMC Discovery for Storage is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems - Patterns that model many Storage Systems.
- Storage System Release Notes provides the latest Storage updates and improvements to existing Storage patterns.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering all commands executed and files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU 2023-Oct-2 is available here.
|The BMC Discovery Outpost cannot connect to more than one appliance or Helix Discovery instance. This defect was introduced in the August 2023 (TKU 2023-Aug-2) and fixed in October 2023 (TKU 2023-Oct-2).
The following new products are introduced within the scope of this release.
|Storage and Device Management Software
|HPE StoreServ Management Console
Database Activity Monitoring
|Security and Vulnerability Management Software
|McAfee Database Security
The following RFEs are introduced within the scope of this release.
SI Key Change
Added an ability to get
Enhanced the DataStax Enterprise pattern to run the
|Added an ability to link associated processes to Dynatrace SoftwareInstance.
|Updated the Elastic Filebeat pattern to get install_root via pmap or similar if alternate methods fail
|Improved versioning of IBM Informix Dynamic Server SI.
|IBM Informix Dynamic Server
|Improved the triggering process for ITRS Geneos Netprobe.
|Updated the ITRS Geneos model to handle instance based Software Instances with a key based on port (if applicable), type and host key.
|Added path versioning.
|Updated the Logstash pattern to attempt privilege execution for active versioning.
mac_addrs attribute to Microsoft Azure and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure virtual machines for consistency.
|Improved the Node.js versioning.
|Updated tablespace sizes for DBA and CDB in a container for Oracle Databases.
|Oracle RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern
|Added state attribute to the PostgreSQL SoftwareInstance.
|Enhanced file versioning.
|Red Hat JBoss Application Server
|Improved the discovery of the SaltStack Salt Minion SI on Windows
mac_addrs attribute to VMware VM.
|VMware Virtual Machine software
The following defects are fixed within the scope of this release.
SI Key Change
Problem: CrowdStrike Sensor is not discovered on Linux machines.
Problem: An incorrect key for Datastax Databases.
Problem: Low pattern performance due to an increased amount of searches.
Problem: A market version is not reflected for
Solution: Code fix.
Problem: Containerization patterns create massive numbers of Contributor Inference relationships to pattern nodes, which evokes performance issues.
Solution: Code fix.
Problem: Incorrect versioning of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition.
Problem: ECA error in the OracleRDBMS pattern.