Technology Knowledge Update TKU 2023-Mar-1
BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2023-Mar-1 is a deliverable for BMC Discovery 12.0, 20.08, 21.05, 21.3, 22.1, 22.2, and 23.1 series.
Using Outpost for TKU customers
BMC Discovery Outpost is released with the TKU monthly package, please check Outpost updates after each TKU release. For more information, see BMC Discovery Outpost system requirements.
For the Extended Data Pack TKU December 2022, the SupportDetail patterns were reworked to prevent SupportDetail nodes' destruction if their only primary evidence (i.e., the SoftwareInstance node that caused its creation) is itself destroyed. The revised pattern now ensures that a relationship link is created for every node associated with a SupportDetail node. In a larger environment, there may be an off-time performance slowdown while such relationship links are created.
Latest releases updates
You can find information about the latest TKU updates and essential notes in the Schedule and roadmap.
- Upgrade to the 184.108.40.206 version: We strongly recommend upgrading to the 220.127.116.11 version to benefit from changes made in the TKU release. Version upgrades will also prevent possible problem-scanning projects where an OS Login is enabled.
- Possible CMDB Sync impact due to new network device hardware components: The sync mapping may take longer after applying TKU in July 2022 for network devices as we are now discovering hardware components synced as BMC_HardwareSystemComponents CIs.
- TLS Certificate checking: BMC Discovery and the BMC Discovery Outpost check the TLS certificate against GCP. You can clear the check box to disable the TLS certificate and check if the certificate is invalid. In such a case, please be aware that a hacker attack could intercept your credentials.
- Microsoft .NET model update: In September, TKU updated our model for Microsoft .NET to reflect better how Microsoft markets the product. This means RuntimeEnvironment nodes with the type "Microsoft .NET Runtime" in TKU August will now have the "Microsoft .NET Framework" type in TKU September.
TKU 2023-Jan-1 is compatible with the following streams: 23.1, 22.2 series, 22.1, 21.3, 21.05, 12.0, and 20.08 series.
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login, please contact your BMC account manager. Check out this guideline if you are unsure how to download it from the BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
- Core—Patterns that model various software products.
- Extended Database discovery—Patterns that extend some core database patterns to obtain more detailed information about specific databases.
- Middleware discovery—Patterns that obtain detailed information about specific J2EE Application Servers and Web servers.
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files, and SNMP managed devices definition files.
- System—Patterns detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions BMC Discovery 23.1.xx, BMC Discovery 12.0.xx, BMC Discovery 20.08, BMC Discovery 21.05, BMC Discovery 21.3, BMC Discovery 22.1, and BMC Discovery 22.2, as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system.
- Hardware Reference Data—Patterns and data import CSV file that populates BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database—A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product.
- Product Lifecycle—Patterns populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of specific host Operating Systems and interpretations of certain software products.
- BMC Discovery for Storage is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems—Patterns that model many Storage Systems.
- The latest Storage updates and improvements to existing Storage patterns are available in Storage System Release Notes.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering all commands executed and files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU March 2023 is available here.
The following new products have been introduced within the scope of this release.
|Relational Database Management Systems
The following RFEs have been introduced within the scope of this release.
SI key change
|Added an alternate way to discover the MongoDB version on Splunk Server.
|Enhanced information retrieving for IBM Java runtime environment.
|Java Virtual Machine
|Updated package versioning for the impala server.
|Enhanced identification of Deployed Applications with IBM WebSphere Application Server Liberty Core software instance.
|IBM WebSphere Application Server Liberty Core
|Updated success criteria for the DiscoveryFunctions.runFutureActiveCommand.
|IBM DB2 RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern
|Added support for Atlassian BitBucket on Unix.
|Provided discovery of the relationship between BMC BladeLogic Server Automation Application Server with RSCD Agent.
|BMC TrueSight Server Automation Suite
|Enhanced the Apache Zookeeper versioning.
|Enhanced host reporting for several NET Framework versions.
|Enhanced versioning for Neo4j Database Server on Linux.
|Provided integration of SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager package as a Software Instance.
|SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
|Enhanced the IBM Endpoint Manager pattern.
|Added the Amazon Corretto support to the Java Virtual Machine Support Detail pattern.
|BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack 2023-Mar-1
Updated OS Support Details for AIX and ESXi.
|OS Product Life Cycle Patterns - Extended Data Pack 2023-Mar-1
Enhanced the lifecycle reports.
|Software Instance Life Cycle Patterns - Extended Data Pack 2023-Mar-1
Updated EOL data for TKU March 2023.
|BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack 2023-Mar-1
Added support for Rancher cluster name extraction.
Added support for OpenShift Routes.
|Red Hat OpenShift
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
SI key change
Problem: Progress MOVEit does not get WMI versioning correctly.
Problem: Can report the wrong python package version.
Problem: Should check if Tibco Runtime Agent SIs age correctly.
Problem: Time Zone is wrong and ugly for Power HMC hosts.
Problem: Discovery doesn't show the Xcom Data Transport Protocol version in windows.
Problem: Incorrect simple identities in MSPowerAutomate.tplpre.
Problem: Strangely escaped HTTPD path attempted in ExtendedTomcatDiscovery.Workers.LinkWorkers.
Problem: Regex bugs in Tableau pattern.
Problem: ECA error on pattern Elastic.Metricbeat.EMB_Funcs.parse_yml.
Problem: Incorrectly identify install_root for Apache Zookeeper.
Problem: Extended_SQL_Query.tplpre uses the wrong arguments to call discovery.sqlQuery.
Problem: Python RuntimeEnvironment node does not report short_name.
Problem: Python pattern is missing embedded matrix comments.
Problem: Many reports handle BAI and BusinessService but not TechnicalService.
Problem: Citrix XenApp & Citrix Virtual Delivery Agent version 2203.0 has no match in EOL data.
Problem: Invalid flag placement in regular expressions in many modules.