Technology Knowledge Update TKU 2021-Jun-1
BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2021-Jun-1 is a deliverable for BMC Discovery 12.0, 20.08 and 21.05 series.
Important Note for Discovery 20.02 (12.0) Customers Only
Mapping files for synchronization to ServiceNow CMDB
The mapping files for synchronization to ServiceNow CMDB released with the previous version of BMC Discovery no longer work with the updated synchronization for ServiceNow CMDB. New mapping files are available from EPD. However, to ensure correct operation, you must use the following procedure:
- Delete the synchronization for ServiceNow mappings.
- Upload the new synchronization for ServiceNow mappings.
Restart the cmdb_sync_transformer service. As the tideway user, enter:
tw_service_control --restart cmdb_sync_transformer.
Important Note for BMC Discovery
If you use BMC Discovery 12.0 (20.02), you must install Patch 2 before you install the August TKU. More information on the patch is available here, Patch 2 for version 20.02.
Kubernetes and Red Hat OpenShift updates
In TKU June-1 release comes with important improvements for Kubernetes and Red Hat OpenShift:
- Added API support for K8s and OpenShift discovery for Discovery v.12.2+. Now API Discovery supports OpenShift version 4.1 and higher. We strongly recommend you to upgrade to Discovery version 21.05 to use this feature.
- Added support for the Namespace and Software Pod node kinds.
- Deployment node now has more meaningful type e.g. ReplicaSet, StatefulSet, DaemonSet, Job.
- "key" attribute has been changed for OpenShift and Kubernetes clusters and all cluster nodes.
Discovery Storage updates: support of Panasas
Latest Releases Updates
- TKU 2021- May-2 was the final release with support for Discovery 11.3 version. For more information, see Supported versions of BMC Discovery.
- TKU April was released with important enhancement for Edge connectivity feature by using LLDP information. For more information, see Edge connectivity.
- TKU April release had important improvements to support the Oracle Pluggable Databases ("PDBs"). For details, see Oracle RDBMS - Database Detail Pattern and Oracle Database - Change History.
- In TKU April release we have fixed issue with the Oracle pattern running subshell commands with sudo. As a solution, the pattern has been updated to prevent running commands with sudo.
In this specific case, the Discovery user needs to be granted rights to execute the "lsnrctl status" commands, as the product itself (Oracle DB) disallows running that kind of commands as root.
For details, see Oracle Database.
- From TKU March we synchronize the F5 Load Balancer certificates to the CMDB. For more information about it, please visit this page CDM Mapping for Host.
Global information about TLS Certificates discovery can be found in this new page 2022-09-07_03-40-45_Supported TLS Certificates.
- From TKU December we now report security information for hardware where it is published in the US Government National Vulnerability Database.
This is in addition to reporting NVD information for Software Instances, Operating Systems and Network Devices.
- We have introduced a new synchronization mapping pattern that maps Detail nodes with type "TLS Certificate" to the BMC_Document CIs. This mapping is enabled by default, and could add additional data to the CMDB. For more information, see CDM Mapping for Host.
TKU 2021-Jun-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 21.05 series.
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 12.0 series.
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 20.08 series.
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this guideline if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
- Core - Patterns that model various software products.
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases.
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers.
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP managed devices definition files.
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions BMC Discovery 12.0.xx, BMC Discovery 20.08 and BMC Discovery 21.05 as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system.
BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack TKU 2021-Jun-1, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here.
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products.
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage System Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
|Enterprise Resource Management Applications
|NetIQ Identity Manager (IDM)
|Identity and Access Management
|SI Key Change
|Updated Oracle Coherence false-positive check.
|Updated naming logic to include a version number into the name, even when <instance> attribute is missing.
|Improved virtual Host to consider VMs and their hypervisor servers to be in different scopes with overlaps in IP addresses.
|Microsoft Hyper-V Server
Red Hat KVM
Oracle VM VirtualBox
VMware Virtual Machine software
Sun Solaris Zone Container
|Pattern updated to extract a list of instances from configuration file.
|Sybase Adaptive Server IQ
|Improved BMC Client Management by inserting leading zeros to it.
|BMC Client Management
|Improved the Terracotta UMS pattern to be triggered on com.pcbsys.nirvana.server.ServerService.
|Terracotta Universal Messaging
|Updated publisher extraction.
|Java Virtual Machine
|Provided the new model for Mongo shared cluster.
|Improved NVD process to handle CPE strings with edition.
|National Vulnerability Database
National Vulnerability Database Tables
|Updated patterns to use common runPowerShell() function.
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
|SI Key Change
Problem: Oracle databases missing for SIs without global_db_name.
Problem: Incorrect handling of errors produced by commands run by the JBoss pattern.
|Problem: Report incorrect CPE string for BMC Patrol Agent 3.9.00 AIx.
Solution: Code fix.
|BMC Patrol Agent
|Problem: Missed version details for all Software Instance: Ab Initio Enterprise Meta Environment.
Solution: Code fix.
|Ab Initio Co-Operating System
Ab Initio Enterprise Meta Environment
|Problem: ECA error in a Discovery Run causes missing "company" attribute for all nodes in the run while synchronization to the CMDB.
Solution: Code fix.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU June 2021 can be downloaded from.