You can upload knowledge files to a standalone appliance or a cluster from the Knowledge management page. When uploading to a cluster, you need to do so only once; the knowledge is distributed to all cluster members.
The following topics are covered in this section:
Knowledge management provides the ability to upload product content. This enables us to add the capability to discover new cloud providers, or update existing providers with monthly Technology Knowledge Update (TKU) releases. Product content now includes the ability to add new reports in monthly TKU releases. Product content updates can also be used to make minor UI and taxonomy updates.
Product content installation requires appliance restart
When product content is added, the appliance is restarted as part of the update. You are given the opportunity to prevent the restart, though if you do so, none of the knowledge content will be installed.
Product content is supplied in an RPM, which is contained in the TKU zip, in much the same way as Device RPMs (DRPMs). You should upload and install knowledge using the TKU zip. If you choose to unzip and install the TKU from the individual files, you should install the product content RPM first, as other components of the TKU might depend on the new product content. For more information on product content, see Adding cloud providers.
To upload knowledge
Changes in the pattern configuration block revision number may reset the pattern configuration changes to the default values
If you install a TKU that contains an update to a pattern configuration block that requires its major revision number to be incremented, any end-user configuration changes to that pattern (made through the pattern configuration block) are lost, and the default pattern values are restored.
- From the Knowledge management page toolbar, click Upload.
The Upload Knowledge dialog opens.
- Click Browse to locate and select a file to upload.
- The upload process begins, and if the product content or devices information requires updating, you are asked for confirmation whether you want to continue and restart the appliance services. If no product content is found, you do not need to restart the appliance services, and the update starts after you click Upload.
- Click Continue and restart to continue, or Cancel upload to abort the process.
- The Upload Knowledge dialog displays the progress of the upload and activation. If you are installing a TKU with a product content update, the offline status page is displayed showing the progress.
The appliance restarts and after you have logged in, a Knowledge Upload - Progress display shows the loading and activation of the knowledge upload, and then the Manage Knowledge page shows with the Knowledge Upload - Complete display.
If devices or product content was updated, the discovery service is automatically restarted after the update. If however, the vault is secured with an unsaved passphrase, the discovery service cannot be restarted and you must open the vault and restart discovery manually.Determining the active TKU
You can determine the active TKU versions form the Knowledge Management page. The Knowledge summary shows the current installed (if installed) versions of the following:
- TKU—the installed TKU version and the number of active pattern modules.
- EDP—the installed Extended Data Pack version.
- Storage TKU
- Product Content
- Network Devices