This section describes the upgrade and migration options that are available from previous versions of BMC Discovery.
Upgrade and migration overview
To summarize the upgrade paths and outcomes:
- Existing installations of BMC Discovery 11.1.x and earlier use Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
- Existing installations of BMC Discovery 11.2 use CentOS 6 as their operating system.
- New installations of BMC Discovery 11.3 use CentOS 7 as their operating system.
- Any appliance upgraded to 11.3 runs on CentOS 6.
- You cannot upgrade a CentOS 6 or RHEL 6 based appliance to CentOS 7; rather, you must migrate. Migration involves backing up the CentOS 6 or RHEL 6 based appliance (version 10.1.x to 11.3) and restoring to a new BMC Discovery 11.3 appliance running on CentOS 7.
BMC Discovery 11.3.x is the last version of BMC Discovery to support CentOS 6.
Supported upgrade versions
You can upgrade to BMC Discovery 11.3 from the following versions of BMC Discovery:
- 10.1, 10.1.0.1, 10.1.0.2, 10.1.0.3, 10.1.0.4, and 10.1.0.5
- 10.2, 10.2.0.1, 10.2.0.2, 10.2.0.3, 10.2.0.4, 10.2.0.5, and 10.2.0.6
- 11.0, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, and 188.8.131.52
- 11.1, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, and 126.96.36.199
- 11.2, 188.8.131.52, and 184.108.40.206
(220.127.116.11 was a proxy-only release that was not made generally available)
You can update to BMC Discovery 18.104.22.168 (patch 1) from the versions above, and the following versions of BMC Discovery:
The upgrade to BMC Discovery 11.3 patch 1 makes changes to the appliance certificates which require some configuration after installation. See Configuring after upgrade for more information.
You can upgrade to BMC Discovery 22.214.171.124 (patch 2) from the versions above, and the following version of BMC Discovery:
You can upgrade to BMC Discovery 126.96.36.199 (patch 3) from the versions above, and the following version of BMC Discovery
You can upgrade to BMC Discovery 188.8.131.52 (patch 4) from the versions above, and the following version of BMC Discovery
You can upgrade to BMC Discovery 184.108.40.206 (patch 5) from the versions above, and the following version of BMC Discovery
Upgrading mixed clusters
Clusters can comprise a mix of members running on CentOS 6 and CentOS 7. You might get into this situation by upgrading a cluster to BMC Discovery 11.3 (all members would be running 11.3 on CentOS 6) and then adding a new member that is a new installation of 11.3 running on CentOS 7.
When you upgrade a cluster with mixed OS (6 and 7) members, you must upload the BMC Discovery (CentOS 6) and the BMC Discovery upgrade packages before you start the upgrade. The cluster manager applies the correct upgrade to the members.
OS upgrades for CentOS 6 and CentOS 7 are packaged separately and can be applied to the cluster together or one OS at a time.
BMC Discovery upgrades for CentOS 6 and CentOS 7 are packaged separately but must be applied at the same time.
CentOS 7 migration
The replacement of earlier OS versions with CentOS 7 ensures continued support for the appliance OS during its lifetime, and provides support for newer hardware where you choose to install on hardware. It also provides SMB 2 support, and the ability to run Apache 2.4.
CentOS is an enterprise-class Linux platform that is derived from and aims to be functionally compatible with its upstream source, RHEL. This compatibility enables BMC to perform the same CentOS testing against the Red Hat 6 and 7 STIGs.
When applying OS upgrades to BMC Discovery 11.3, ensure that you download and apply the correct CentOS operating system upgrade.
Which version of CentOS am I using?
To determine whether your appliance is running on CentOS 6 or CentOS 7, check the footer of any UI page. The BMC Discovery version number, build number, and OS version are provided on the bottom line.
Alternatively, from the command line, enter:
tideway@appliance01 ~]$ cat /etc/centos-release
- For CentOS 6 the output begins:
CentOS release 6.x
For CentOS 7 the output begins:
CentOS Linux release 7.x
See the following pages for a summary of user-facing OS-level changes from previous BMC Discovery releases:
- BMC Discovery 11.3 on CentOS 7 compared to previous versions
- BMC Discovery 11.3 on CentOS 6 compared to previous versions
This section contains the following topics: