When you create credentials for devices, databases, or Windows proxies, you can test them to ensure that BMC Discovery is able to access these specific IP addresses. The credential test results page shows you all the credentials, access methods, and Windows proxies that are tried during the test, and which failed (if any). BMC Discovery continues the scanning process until either successful access is obtained or until BMC Discovery runs out of methods to try.This section explains the various ways by which you can run these tests:
- determine whether any of your existing device credentials or Windows proxies allows you to access the given IP address.
- Test by pre-executed test—For tests that are already executed. You can either rerun a given test or delete it. However, you cannot cancel tests that are in progress.
- —To diagnose a possible error with a host or device. When you find that a given host was not scanned as part of the discovery, you can drill down to determine whether the IP address of the host is accessible using the credentials saved in the vault. You can also use this test to determine whether credentials exist for any IP address in your network.
The following topics are covered in this section:
Testing by devices
To run and view credential tests, perform the following steps:
From the main menu, select Manage > Credentials.
- Access one of the following sections based on the credentials that you want to test:
- For device login credential tests, click Devices.
- For database login credential and content tests, click Databases.
- For Windows proxy tests, click Windows Proxy.
- In the results list table, click Actions for the device, database, or Windows proxy that you want to test, and then click Test.
- On the resulting Test Credentials page, if displayed, click Test.
- To delete an already completed test from, click the Test tab and then select Delete from the Actions list.
- To retest an already completed or failed test, click the Test tab and then select Retry from the Actions list.
Testing by pre-executed tests
To run a pre-executed test, perform the following steps:
From the main menu,select Manage > Credentials > Test.
From the result list, select the test that you want to run, and then click Retry.
- To delete a pre-executed test, click Delete in the table.
- To run a credential test for an arbitrary IP address, click Test IP Access in the center-right portion of the page.
In the Test Credentials window, specify the IP address and then click Test.
Testing by infrastructure
You can test existing login credentials when viewing a host's details.
- From the Explore main menu, click Data.
- From the Host & Containers section, click Hosts.
The Host List page is displayed with all the hosts in your environment.
- In the Name column, click the host that you want to view.
The Host page is displayed, as shown in the following illustration.
From the Actions list in the top-left corner, click Test Discovery Credentials.
In the Actions column of the table in the far-right corner, click Retry.
A new entry is added to the list of tests with the start time and all other details of the test that you run.
If you do not have the correct credentials, a message is displayed accordingly. If this issue occurs, you must exit the test and select another host or configure an appropriate credential.