Logging in to the system
You must log in to BMC Discovery before you can use it to discover your IT infrastructure.
Before you begin
Before you start using BMC Discovery, your BMC Discovery Administrator will give you a user name and password and the URL of the BMC Discovery system at your location. Your user account and password may be the same as you use throughout your organization (single sign-on) or it may be specific to BMC Discovery.
The BMC Discovery appliance can be configured to use https rather than http. If you then specify a login URL which uses http, you are automatically redirected to the https page. See HTTPS Configuration for more information.
To log on to the system
Enter the BMC Discovery URL in your browser's address bar. It might look like the following example:
Where ip-addressis the address of the virtual machine, which is displayed when you log in to the virtual machine hosting the BMC Discovery using VMware console. If you received the login URL from your administrator, it might have the host name instead of the IP address.
If your administrator has configured single sign on, you are redirected to the single sign on login page. After you have successfully logged in, you are redirected back to the BMC Discovery UI.
If you are unable to log in to BMC Discovery using BMC Remedy SSO, use the local login URL to access the BMC Discovery UI and log in as a local user.
The BMC Discovery login screen is displayed.
- Enter the username and password provided by your system administrator, or if this is the first time that anyone has accessed the appliance, use the following default values:
- User name: system
- Password: system
- If you are using the Community Edition, agree to the terms and conditions of the Community Edition license by selecting the I accept the Terms and Conditions of use check box. To review the license, click the Terms and Conditions link.
- Click Login.
- If this is the first time that anyone has accessed the appliance, the Change Password for the System User screen is displayed.
- Change the system user password, to do this, complete the following fields:
- Current password - enter the password you used to log in.
- New password - enter your new password.
- Verify password - enter your new password again to verify it.
- Change the password for the command line user root. This can only be done if the default password has not been changed. A message is displayed if the password has been changed
- New password - enter the new root password.
- Verify password - enter the new root password again to verify it.
- Change the password for the command line user tideway. This can only be done if the default password has not been changed. A message is displayed if the password has been changed
- New password - enter the new tideway password.
- Verify password - enter the new tideway password again to verify it.
- It is strongly recommended that you secure the credential vault with a passphrase. If you choose not to, clear the Set Passphrase checkbox. Otherwise:
- New password - enter the new credential vault passphrase.
- Verify password - enter the new credential vault passphrase again to verify it.
- Click Apply to make the changes.
The main BMC Discovery home page displays (see Viewing the Home page).
By default, the UI password that you enter must have at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, one numeric character, and one special character. It must also contain a minimum of six characters. You can change this requirement by configuring password policies. See Managing security policies in the BMC Discovery Configuration Guide.
By default, the command line passwords that you enter must have at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, one numeric character, and one special character. They must also contain a minimum of six characters, at least 4 characters must have been changed against the last password, and there must be no more than three repeated characters.